Wren

The Phantom dive-bombed Wren, bowling her over. They fell into a heap, the creature wedged on top of her, its knees planted across her chest, making it impossible to breathe. It aimed a punch at Wren's face. This should have been her end, but the monster had retracted its metal claws. Her nose exploded in pain. Stars filled her vision. 

Another fist forced the air from her lungs. Pain radiated from her stomach, and the knife slipped from her hand. Her mind began to blur, but she forced herself to stay present. She crossed her arms over her chest, deflecting the next blow and pushed against the metal chest plates with all her might. The Phantom was off balance for a second, but it was enough. She rolled from under it.

She sprung up, inhaling the blood that dripped. The cyborg could have easily killed her with one strike from its lethal metallic claws, but it needed her to suffer. Or New State wanted her alive more than the creature wanted her dead. Either way, she had become the monster's entertainment for the night. There's no other reason for it not to skewer her. If they captured her, they'd torture information out of her. Wren would never let that happen.

The Phantom faced her; the metallic spikes emerged finger by finger. If cyborgs were able to chuckle, this one did.

"Sadistic torture before painful death?" she asked.

The creature didn't answer. It cocked its grotesque head and stared. She wouldn't be captured. She didn't want to die and leave her family. She didn't want this evil thing to find her father or Codey. Not now, not ever. She channeled her fear and focused her resolve. She'd killed other Phantoms. She'd kill this bastard.

Wren hated to remove her eyes from the beast but scanned the darkness for her knife. When she spied it, she sped for the weapon. It let her. She realized it wanted a fight, more blood, a chance to cause pain.

Once again armed, she didn't give herself time for doubt. She ran full speed, staying low, ramming the creature's legs, hoping to avoid its dagger-like talons. She stabbed. Metal against metal. Razor claws ripped through her jacket and met the flesh by her ribs. She didn't let the pain stop her.

With her free hand, Wren grabbed at the wires that ran from the Phantom's neck and yanked hard to detach them. The cyborg, understanding what Wren was trying to do, twisted away, picking her up off the ground. The Phantom threw her, sending her gliding through the air. The wind whistled in her ears, only stopping when her back hit a tree. She slid to the ground, a burst of colors filling her vision. When her sight cleared, she watched the creature lurch closer.

She opened her hand, releasing the mass of snaky wires clutched in her clenched fist.

Wren attempted to stand, but the action sent a throbbing pain rushing to her temples. She wanted to vomit but forced herself to focus on the monster moving closer.

Its eyes were pools of hate as it made its way to Wren like a drunk after a night on the town. The Phantom swayed and stumbled, but Wren knew it remained deadly.

She no longer held her weapon. Blood dripped from her face and her side, but she couldn't give up. She picked a fallen tree branch off the ground and used it to haul herself up. The monster lurched forward, wings coiled along its sides. It tried to extend the metal claws on its fingertips but could not. Thank the gods for small favors.

Wren blocked the sluggish blow aimed at her face. She ducked the next one and connected a couple of weak punches of her own, but they did little against the cyborg's protective armor. Before Wren could make another move, the Phantom punched her in the ribs. More blood leaked from the deep gashes. The blow had been weak, but pain coursed through her. She dropped the tree branch, doubled over and slid to her knees.

Wren couldn't stay down. It would mean her death or, worse, her capture by New State. Pretending to have lost all the fight inside her, she bowed her head while she searched for the branch with her hand. There was no time to aim. The Phantom moved close, and Wren struck out with the branch. It snarled like a rabid dog when the wood scratched the skin away like the peel of an apple. The Phantom's blue blood covered its chin from where the branch had ripped through the gossamer layer, exposing the patchy metal underneath.

Wren delivered a hard blow to the creature's head with more strength than she thought possible. She couldn't stop herself after that. Wren used the branch to smash the cyborg in the ribs where its hardware was stored. She pounded the inhuman beast harder and harder, not caring where the weapon landed. Her strokes turned stronger, more determined as the Phantom tottered.

It fell to its knees, shuddering and seizing. Wren sank the hefty branch into its head. The crunch of its cheekbone under the wood sickened her, but she still couldn't stop. Using her boot, she kicked the wires running along its neck and face, dislodging them.

The seeping mass of wire and metal lay quiet under her, a heap of metal, trash, and human bone. She fell to her hands and knees and vomited the little that remained in her stomach. When she stood on shaky legs and limped off, she held her side, sticky with blood. Her thoughts floated longingly to her father and Codex.

They waiting by the gate. She fell into their arms, and they dragged her farther from New State. Her father's voice in her ear lectured the length of the trip. For once, Wren enjoyed every word.