Codex15111

It was all too much for him. He tried to inhale but coughed. The murky cave was clouded in damp darkness from floor to ceiling. Codex felt faint. His heart beating to a rapid drum. Sitting on a cot not too far from Wren, he waited for the doctor. He knew Wren had been seriously injured saving him but couldn't help feeling sorry for himself.

When the doctor did all she could for Wren, she moved next to Codey, closing the privacy curtain. It didn't matter. Codex had watched Wren's father rally the family while he waited. Now, a boy a few years younger than Wren called Parker and a woman who must be her mother huddled close to her bed. Codex was confused as to why none of these Grounders had numbers attached to their names. How would you tell citizens named Parker or Wren apart?

"I can't wait to grow up and be a raider." Parker's enthusiasm traversed the curtain. "You'll have so many good stories to tell when you're old about all those wounds. Practice on me.  What happened? Your chin's all black and blue, and you got bandages all over. That's excellent"

"I fell," Raspy words revealed her pain.

"This is why we wanted you to find another option than being a raider," her mom chimed in. "You did keep the amulet on? Birds are always lucky."

Codex couldn't hear a reply, but the doctor had finished her cursory exams and drew back the curtain. She walked away, grabbing Rafe and pulling him to the side.

Codex watched as Wren's mom examined every bandage and bruise, clucking and crooning like a hen. "Young lady," her mom began, pushing the gray strands of hair that fell out of her ponytail behind her ears, "you scared your father to death. I can't believe you put yourself or anyone else in this family in such peril. Worse, you disobeyed the laws of the community. You could have put everyone in danger, and for what? A stranger."

Codex bowed his head.

"Codey is different," Wren replied. She sent him a sad smile but lowered her voice. "He's not like the other tech heads. He's like us, and I had to help. Dad felt the same way because he went with me."

"If I lost either of you," she said. "I wouldn't be able to go on."

"Mom. Stop." Wren interrupted.

"Stop." Cassandra put a hand on Wren's bandaged arm. "I need you to listen to me and hear what I am saying for once. I am sure this Codey person is nice and all, but family comes first."

"He's right there, Mom! He can hear you."

Wren's mom was about to continue the lecture, but Codey stood, turning his back so they couldn't read his expression. He'd given up his life and everyone and everything he knew to come here. For what? To be hated? He had trusted Wren. How could he have been so wrong?

He turned to her to say something but was silenced when Wren's mom shot him the evil eye. Wren blushed, but before the situation could escalate, Rafe came back and put his hand on his wife's arm. She settled into the chair next to Wren's cot, her lips a tight line. The death glares in Codey's direction continued.

"How are you doing?" Rafe asked Codey.

"Physically better, but it was a mistake to come here," he replied.

"It wasn't a mistake." Wren limped closer to him.

He saw the pain every step caused her. "You need to rest. You're amazing, and I can't believe you were able to kill that Phantom, but you need to get into bed. That thing was deadly. I thought you were a goner. You have to make sure you recover now."

Her mother gasped and covered Parker's ears.

"Sorry." Codey blushed and lowered his voice. "Please get into bed so your mother doesn't hate me any more than she does now."

Wren's dad took over. "Let me introduce you. This is my wife, Cassandra, and my son Parker. You'll be staying with us for a while, sharing a room with Parker, but there is something we need to deal with first."

"What's that?" Wren asked.

"His CHIP," her dad replied. "There's a chance that they can track you here if it's working. We can't take that risk. We would have discussed this all if we hadn't been interrupted at your house, but we had to run. So there's no time for discussion now. If you don't want to have it removed, you'll be forced to leave."

"You can't do that," Wren said. "Codey just got here."

"His choice," her dad replied, his gaze directed at the boy.

"What does it involve?" Codey asked.

"It's a minor operation," Wren's dad continued, "but there are risks."

"Risks?" Wren cut in. "What kind of risks?"

"It's brain surgery, Wren," her dad said. "The connective tissue could have formed around the CHIP incorrectly or intrusively. There could be damage when taking it out. We've done the operation successfully, but there have been negative outcomes."

Codey eyed the primitive room. Nothing like the hospitals back in New State. "Are you sure you have proper equipment? Trained surgeons?"

"Negative outcomes?" Parroted Wren.

Rafe held Codey's glance. "People have lost their memory, their ability to walk, or even worse. If you want me to be honest, we haven't done that many surgeries."

"Codey, don't do it," Wren begged.

"Then he can't stay," her dad reminded her.

He couldn't go back. He'd run from the police, most likely been placed with the rebels. He had no choice. This was the only way to save his parents. "Let's get it over with," Codey said. "When do we do this?"

"How about now?" her dad said. Parker clapped in anticipation. His mom put her hands over his in an attempt to stop it.

Codey, shouldered squared, head held high, set off to find the doctor with Wren's dad.