Wren

Wren knew this went against everything she believed in, but she needed answers. Her time with Codey contradicted all she had been taught. The possibility of hooking up drove her here, but she was still shocked at how willing Codey was to let her experience it. Could it all be a trap?

Along with the thrill of experiencing the hook-up, Wren desperately wanted to learn about New State technology and how it monitored the citizens. If she finds out and tells her father, Wren knows she can make him proud and live up to his high standards. She hated not telling him how she got it but hooking up might be the only way. Wren's dad would ground her for life if he found out, but she'd make sure he didn't.

She had to tell Codey about the note. Someone watched them, and that could not be good. Wren didn't want to put Codey's mother in more danger, but this might be her only opportunity to experience something no other Grounder had ever done, learn from it, and return with the information.

"Phantom," Wren mouthed.

Codey put a finger to his mouth. His eyes pled with Wren to be silent.

She held her breath. The seconds ticked backward in Wren's mind like the count before a bomb detonated, but when number one exploded in her brain, nothing happened. The whirl and swoosh of the Phantom remained outside the window.

Light advanced and then faded back into the night. She let out the rush of air she'd bottled up and noticed Codey slouching in the chair, his thin frame relaxing. His pale skin stood out against the dark leather.

"Normal night patrol. If you're hooked up, you don't even notice the Phantoms." He pushed the hair back from his ear to expose the port. "I'd normally be hooked up, but since I missed a few nights, cyborgs come around the neighborhood two or three times. Nothing to worry about as long as we're quiet." He smiled sheepishly.

"Right." Wren's words lacked conviction, but her desire to understand Codey's lifestyle drove her to recklessness. Rafe would kill her if he ever found out. She'd be off the Raiders for sure.

"Let's get you hooked up. Since you don't have a CHIP, this should be interesting."

While Wren had learned the basics about CHIPs and other implants at school, she was fascinated as it played out in real life.

"Sit here." He pointed to a comfortable recliner.

She did, back straight, elbows relaxed and ready to draw her weapon.

Codey moved behind her and did something Wren didn't expect. She practically jumped out of her seat. Her cheeks flushed as he chuckled at her reaction, but he didn't stop rubbing her shoulders in a gentle massage.

"You're too tense," he said. "The computer senses changes to physiology, which might cause things to go awry. Sit back and relax."

Wren shook her head. Codey didn't understand how hard it was to relax when she had sneaked out of the compound to visit a tech head against her better judgment. Still, his fingers kneading her shoulders felt wonderful. She sighed and sat back. He continued to work the shoulder and back

"You're good at this," Wren purred.

"We learn all the pressure points in our introductory conditioning class to help us relax when we first start joining with our computers, but usually, the massage is done with robotic hands. I don't have any available. Sorry. When your mind and body are relaxed, the CHIP syncs better with the external technology."

"What's it like to have a CHIP?"

"I can't remember a time without it. Stop asking questions and overanalyzing the situation. Enjoy it."