Wren

She yanked back the camouflage tarp cover, feeling exposed under the still-lit sky as transport bumped along. The setting sun stunned her; she hadn't witnessed the sun's descent in years.

The trucks couldn't take the raiders into New State, and since streaks of light illuminated the horizon, caution was paramount. Tension leaked from the raiders on the drive to the city. If Phantoms were near, the riders were better than dead, unable to fight stuck side by side like canned fish and without weapons at ready.

Decorated with technology, they were dropped in pairs at various locations outside New State to make their way to the center of the capital. Wren's entry point, alongside Mason, was by the dump, one of the less-patrolled areas. No citizens in their right mind wandered near the filth and smell. Still, she remained alert. Phantoms routinely flew through the city, scanning for anything out of the ordinary.

"Be careful not to get your suit dirty," Mason warned as he crawled through a hole in the wall. Mounds of debris stood like abstract sculptures before them. The smell of rot and decay caused her to pull her tunic over her nose and inhale through her mouth.

Seagulls swooped, avoiding them only to land on the piles of garbage and pick at the remains. Rats scurried, unafraid.

"Is this the best drop point or what?" Sarcasm dripped from Wren's words.

"I'll try to stay clean, but you have to do the same."

"You're quite snazzy with all that technology attached to your neck and face. Not sure if I could tell you apart from a real New Stater."

"That's the point," Mason said.

"So true. You always were the smart one." A hint of a smile faded like the light.

"You clean up well. Too bad you're a girl."

"Any new interests of late?" Wren tried to divert her thoughts from the danger that loomed in every direction, pushing away the tension building in his chest.

"Let's discuss dating during the most critical mission of our lives."

"Better than wondering what comes next." Wren edged around the worst of the filth.

"I promised myself I wouldn't date until after this mission. We could not make it back tonight. Wouldn't want to leave anyone grieving over my death."

"Don't." Wren kicked a pile of rusted technology out of the way, making a path.

"You need to be more of a realist. This is dangerous. You always forget that."

They neared the edge of the dump before Wren spoke again. "I haven't forgotten. I refuse to imagine what life would be like for my parents if I were gone or what life would be like for me without you. Now shut up. We're supposed to be plugged in."

They entered the city proper. Wren attempted the unfocused, plugged-in appearance she'd had previously viewed on the videos of New Staters engaged in computerized navigation. Mason padded along the sidewalk next to her, and they crossed an intersection. She tried not to stare, but it was hard.

People who chose to walk no longer were transported by vehicles. They rolled or glided to their next destination alongside other commuters. Wires emanated from all parts of the human body, causing some of the residents to become more robots than humans.

The worst were the people she didn't see, souls who never came outside, happily isolated and totally reliant on their computers for everything, even life support. Some New Staters, refused to leave the house or even communicate with other humans, much happier to live a life entirely populated by artificial intelligence and fake life forms.