chapter fifteen

NEVER BE LIKE YOU - (FLUME)

- BELLA

We drove for what felt like forever, but we finally reached our destination.

I don't even know why I agreed to this. I didn't even get to have a say! He just dragged me with him as if we were best buddies.

I find it weird why suddenly Rome wants to be my 'friend', I don't know what game he's playing but I'm not up for it right now, I've got to focus on my senior year, even if that means sacrificing my own free time.

Rome pulls into the parking lot and finds a spot before turning the car off and getting out. I stay sitting like a mindless idiot. It's not until Rome opens the car door for me and brings me back to reality.

"Does it look like I'm a man of patience? " He questions me, "Don't just sit there, get out." When I step out of the car, I'm hit with a wave of cold, freezing air. I shiver and hold my jacket tightly around my body.

"Told you so," he says with a smirk, causing me to roll my eyes., "After you." He says and I scoff, tucking my chin in my jacket, trying to warm myself up a little at least.

We walked inside and were met with lights and a bunch of decorations, god this mall is huge, and we've only just walked in!

"What are we doing first?" I ask him.

My mind raced as I followed Rome into the bustling mall. I couldn't shake off the feeling of discomfort, not just from the cold, but from the strange turn of events. Rome's sudden interest in me, coupled with his intrusive behaviour, left me feeling uneasy.

As we navigated through the mass of shoppers, I couldn't help but feel out of place in my simple attire compared to the fashionable crowds around me. I pulled my jacket tighter around myself, trying to ward off the chill that seeped through my clothes.

Rome seemed unfazed by the cold, striding ahead with confidence. I couldn't understand his motives for dragging me along, especially when he had other plans with my brother. But I pushed aside my questions, focusing instead on the present moment.

"We could check out the shops first," Rome suggested, glancing back at me. "Or maybe grab something to eat?"

I shrugged, not particularly enthused by either option. "I don't know, you pick," I replied, my voice tinged with indifference. He groans, "I just noticed why nobody likes you."

He says out blunt and I pause in my tracks, my expression a mix of confusion and offence. Rome's comment cut through the air like a knife, leaving a palpable tension between us.

"What's that supposed to mean?" My frown deepened, and my voice edged with irritation.

"You're a boring person. You make other people decide for you, as I've said before— you let people control you and walk you like a dog." he shrugs and continues walking.

I felt a surge of anger rise within me at Rome's cutting words. His blunt assessment hit a nerve, stirring up a mix of frustration and indignation.

"Excuse me?" my voice trembled with suppressed fury as she hurried to catch up with Rome's retreating figure. "Who do you think you are, judging me like that? Again"