chapter sixteen

SPECIAL - (SZA)

- BELLA

A piercing scream left my throat the second I saw my brother standing there waiting for me.

Why is he here?!

"Zion!" I clutch my chest and feel my heart racing.

"W-what are you doing here!?" My voice is verbally obvious that I'm scared and shocked at the sight in front of me.

"When I fucking call you, you answer." He grits and grabs my wrist, takes my jacket off and tilts my head, it's as if he's looking for something, he forces me to turn around to lift my hair and checks my neck.

"Who the fuck were you with." My brother is now visibly angry, "Who's fucking car is that!" he yells at me again.

"Answer me!" He's furious now, he continues to yell at me and he shakes me by my shoulders.

I manage to push him away, "It's none of your business, you seriously came back all this way for what?! J-just because of one thing I say during a phone call?" I yell back at him, matching his tone.

pushed him away. "It's none of your business! You came all this way just because of one phone call?" My voice matched his intensity.

"No shit! My sister could be fucking around!" Zion yelled. "So yes, I came back to find you getting out of some random asshole's car! Now start talking, Isabella!"

"I wasn't with anyone!" I retort, my voice quivering with a mixture of fear and frustration. "And that car, it's just a friend's. Nothing more." I cannot lie, he can tell when I'm lying.

Zion's eyes blaze with fury as he steps closer, his fists clenched at his sides. "Don't you dare lie to me, Bella. I can't trust you if you're going to hide things from me." My eyes widen at his remark.

"When have you ever trusted me?!" I demand, my voice cracking with emotion. The years of resentment and disappointment bubble to the surface, fuelling my words.

Zion's expression wavers, a flicker of guilt crossing his features before he hardens once more. "You know why, Bella," he replies, his voice low and strained. "I've always looked out for you, but you've never made it easy because you always want to act like a fuckin' brat!" he spits out.

A bitter laugh escapes me, mingling with the anger coursing through my veins. "Looked out for me? Is that what you call it because that's rich!" I scoff, shaking my head in disbelief. "You've suffocated me, Zion. You've never let me breathe or make my own mistakes!"

As we continued screaming at each other, the front door opened and my parents walked in, they immediately tried and break us up.

His jaw clenches as he struggles to maintain his composure. "I did it because I care about you," he insists, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Care about me?" I echo, incredulous. "Or control me? You've never cared about what I want or need. It's always been about what you think is best for me."

"That's enough!" Dad's voice booms through the air, cutting through the tension like a knife. His stern tone commands attention, momentarily halting our heated exchange.

Both Zion and I turn to face our parents, our chests still heaving with anger. Guilt floods my veins as I realise the scene we've created before them.

"Ya 3ami, shu alli sar hawn?!" Mum's voice trembles with anger and concern as she steps forward, her eyes darting between Zion and me.

(oh my, what's happening here)

Zion opened his mouth to speak, but I beat him to it, "Nothing," I muttered, suddenly feeling the weight of our argument crashing down on me. "We were just... disagreeing on something."