the letter

The next day, after a slight argument in our common room, we walked into the Great Hall holding hands. Although Sebastian wanted to make a bigger entrance, I refused. Word would spread more than I wanted it to. As we both went over to the Slytherin table, we got a bunch of looks and whispers coming from the students. I knew what most were about. Sebastian Sallow, the most popular and charming kid in school, now has a girlfriend, and it's Aurelia Gray? As I looked over at him, I noticed he was drinking up all the attention. I smiled, knowing it would get to his head. So I nudged his shoulder, smirking.

"I told you we made a big enough entrance," I whispered.

"No entrance is big enough for me," he whispered back, leaning in for a kiss. I suspected it was only fair, saying I did the same to him yesterday. As we broke apart, the Slytherin table erupted into chatter. "I told YOU." He said as I rolled my eyes.

As Sebastian easily chatted with our classmates around us, I wondered how we so easily fell into this. Is it normal for best friends to act like they're in an actual relationship?

He nudged my shoulder, breaking me out of my thoughts. I looked up and found his chocolate brown eyes staring into mine, searching for emotion with concern. "Are you okay?"

I smiled. "I'm fine, Seb. Thanks for asking. I was just...thinking."

I watched his face light up with curiosity. "About what?"

He dared me to test him, for me to stand my ground.

I tilted my head to the side, playing along. "Why should I tell you?"

He mimicked getting stabbed, saying, "How could you do this to me, my girlfriend?"

I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. But something about the way he called me his "girlfriend" seemed so natural, so real. It hurt me knowing that this would have to end.

I get told I daydream a lot and don't pay enough attention to the world around me. I guess this was true, because the next minute I looked up, and Sebastian was gone, and Leander was in his place, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Aurelia? Aurelia??"

I shook my head, coming back to reality. I laughed shyly.

"Oh, I'm sorry Leander, I didn't notice you there. What's up? Did you need something?"

"You know, you didn't have to date Sebastian for Garreth to get the message. He heard it loud and clear."

My smile faded. "Do you think I'm only dating Sebastian to make Garreth jealous?"

"I mean, isn't that the only reason? It's not like Sebastian cares much, anyway. He's flirting with that girl over by the doors."

I whip my head around, and sure enough, I see them both laughing, Sebastian's hand on her shoulder. After that, I saw red. I stood up from my bench and stormed back to the common room in a huff, not even bothering to finish my conversation with Leander. When I got up to the common room, I went up to my dorm and went to bed, too tired to handle making conversation with anyone else.

_______________________

When I woke up in the morning, I checked my schedule to see I had double potions as my first classes of the day. When I walked out of the common room, though, I saw Sebastian and Ominis walking together, so I trailed behind them a bit.

I was still mad at Sebastian, so I took a seat next to Ominis instead as we walked into potions.

"So," he whispered. "What's going on between you two now? I still hear all the rumors, you know."

I gasped as I realized I had forgotten to tell our other best friend everything. So I told him as much as I could before Professor Sharp walked in, and Ominis looked shocked.

"And how long do you plan on keeping this up?" He asked. I thought about it for a minute, realizing that I didn't want it to anytime soon. Even though I was mad at him right now, I had grown used to him always being at my side.

"Ummm...as long as it takes for Garreth to apologize, I guess," I said, trying to hide the disappointed tone in my voice. But Ominis still heard it.

"You know, I can tell when you get a crush on someone, Aura. He wouldn't hurt you. He talks about you way too much to just let you go like that."

My eyes went wide. Sebastian? Talking about me? But before I could comprehend, a piece of paper fell on my desk and Sebastian was watching me, obviously being the sender. I stared at it for a moment, before Ominis interrupted my thoughts, saying, "Well? Aren't you going to open it?" I smiled and unwrapped the paper to reveal Seb's message.

'You look so pretty today.'

I grinned, unable to hide the blush on my face. He winked at me, and I honestly forgot what I was mad at him about.

Our next class was Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Sebastian appeared next to me.

"Hey," he said, breathless. "Did you like my letter?"

I blushed again, and Sebastian noticed. He looks at me in surprise and gasps, theatrical style.

"Is it possible that Gray has fallen for me?"

I laugh and stick out my tongue. "You wish, Sallow."

But as we walked in, I realized one thing. I think I have. How do you tell your fake boyfriend you've developed genuine feelings for him?