the threat

When I walked into Defense Against the Dark Arts with Aurelia at my side, I couldn't keep the grin off my face. Something about watching her get flustered over little things is so heartwarming to me.

Truth is, whenever I'm around her, I forget about everything else. Whatever's going on at home, with Anne being sick and Solomon merely just existing, along with the stress Hogwarts brings. Tests, duels, along very lively classes.

I brought up the idea of fake dating because she deserved better than Garreth, and I wanted her to realize that. Plus, I loved being in her company. I can't deny that I don't have feelings for her myself, because I do. Her relationship with Garreth was eating away at me, and I couldn't be happier when they finally broke it off.

It didn't seem like I good time to express the feelings I've had for her since the middle of 3rd year, so I kept them hidden, again. But this was a way to show my feelings without her knowing. I feared that she didn't share the same feelings, and I didn't want to jeopardize our friendship. She and Ominis are the best things I have.

And while Ominis insists she feels the same way, I don't want to risk it. I couldn't bear to imagine my life without her.

Professor Hecat pulls me out of my daze though, as she mentions we're going to be dueling today. I smirked. Finally, some fun is happening in this class. I stand up, assuming I'm about to duel Aurelia, as she's the 2nd best dueller here. Other than me. But oddly, I get put with Garreth. He glares at me as we make our way towards the table rising from the floor. I roll my eyes. A little glare isn't going to stop me from absolutely crushing him. Before we step onto the table, however, he stands next to me and talks in a hushed voice.

"You may think you're special for winning over Aurelia, Sallow, but let me assure you that you aren't. And if you hurt her in any way, you're gonna see how much we Gryffindors fight for our honor." I roll my eyes, not letting it affect me. I don't take shit from anyone. Why would I take it from my girlfriend's ex?

But she's not your girlfriend.

Well, I know that. But saying it stops me from punching Garreth's throat. So I stop listening to my thoughts and hold out my wand, waiting for him to make the first move.

He strikes faster than I expected, and I barely have enough time to throw up a shield. I levitate him after he attacks, but he falls quickly after and casts Incendio. I disarm him, thinking I've won, but he hits me with a near-silent Diffindo before I can do anything to protect myself.

It cuts through my robe and leaves a long cut on my skin. I look down in shock, watching the first few drops of blood fall. Thinking he's won, he casts Depulso, no doubt trying to knock me off my feet. But I put up a shield quickly, cast with Confringo and Bombarda, and he falls off the table. I won, but that was too close for comfort. Garreth has gotten better than I expected.

I jumped down from the table, receiving applause from the surrounding students, but I ignored it. I walked towards Aura and she smiled at me.

"Good job, Seb. Although it looks like Garreth is going to give you a run for your title." She said, giggling.

"Yeah...I've never been more happy for a Defense Against the Dark Arts class to be over." I said, checking on my cut. It stopped bleeding, but it hurt. I knew it would scar, and I sighed. Just a forever reminder of his threat to me and the duel I almost lost.

But when Aurelia grabbed my hand, and we walked out together, not even her comforting presence could stop me from worrying about what he said.

–Y/n's Pov–

Sebastian and I walked out of class together, hand in hand, but he seemed...distracted.

I stopped by a window and waved my hand in front of his face, finally getting his attention.