calm before the storm

I toss and turn that night. Even though I may have been confident with Garreth, I was worried. I had full trust in Sebastian, but not the rest of his team.

I woke up from my light sleep two hours later, wincing as the sunlight hit my eyes. Sitting up, I rub the sleep out of my eyes. I had only one mission on my mind for today. Telling Sebastian about what's going on.

I found him sitting by the fireplace with a book, and he looked up and smiled when he heard me approaching.

"Hey. What's up?" He said, his voice even and content.

"Sooo...I may or may not have made a mistake," I replied, throwing myself into the chair next to him.

He put his book down and looked at me with a straight face, except for the corners of his mouth tugging up, trying not to smile.

"Oh, Aura. What did you do now?" He asked, laying his head down on his fists to listen.

"Um...so Garreth decided to make a bet with me."

Sebastian tried to interrupt, but I covered his mouth with my hand. It might have been the light, but I swore I saw a hint of red on his face.

"Nope, you're gonna wait until I'm done talking," I laughed, ruffling his hair with my hand. "Although your reaction was hilarious."

He rolled his eyes, laying back in his chair.

"He said that if Gryffindor wins, he wants to talk to me about what happened and apologize for hurting me. And that his threat still stands. But if Slytherin wins, he'll leave us alone and we can enjoy our 'happily ever after.''

Sebastian looked at me, confused. "Wait, so let me get this straight. You're ignoring the Weasley so now this ferret is trying to make a bet with you just to get you to talk?"

I sighed. "More or less, yes." He was making it sound a lot more sadistic than it actually was.

"And...are you actually going to go through with it?"

"I accepted it on impulse. I just hope your Seeking skills have gotten better, cause you're gonna need them."

"We're gonna make him regret ever looking at Poppy," he said, standing up from the chair.

My cheeks burned, and I smiled. He didn't have to do this for me.

I love you, Sebastian Sallow.

_____________

Seb's POV

I was sitting on my bed writing a couple inches on dittany and its uses when my snowy owl plopped down on my bed, a letter tied to it. I had sent a letter out to Aurelia earlier, so I was hoping this was her response. Carefully undoing the letter from his leg, I opened it up to find small writing, every letter neat and stroked with purpose. My face smiled of its own accord as I scanned her letter.

"What time do you want to meet? I'm free anytime after dinner. And while I want to know...I know you well enough that I probably shouldn't ask what you have planned. I may give myself a heart attack from the shock of when I find out. Or an aneurysm from trying to figure it out. Did I spell that right? What a strange word that is.

Anyway, I'm using up way too much parchment. I'll just talk to you later."

I laughed and rolled her letter back up, immediately writing her a response. I tried to get back to my work, but the anticipation and excitement for tonight got to me. I threw my work back down onto my desk and started pacing the common room to rid of some of my nerves. Even though we've been "dating" for almost a month now, I still get so nervous I'm going to say or do the wrong thing around her.