second, third & hundredth chances

I walk over to the Gryffindor table, feeling shy and out of place. I slowly sat down next to Garreth and I met eyes from Sebastian, and I wanted to look away, but I just couldn't. Violet was nowhere to be found, and Sebastian's hazel eyes held a storm mixed with fury and deep sadness. He was looking at me with remorse, jealousy, and anger all at once.

I glanced away. Leave it to Sebastian to make me feel bad. I wanted to hear what was going on with him and Violet, and I wanted to try to get him back. But I also felt bad for Garreth.

"Aurelia? Are you listening?"

"Yeah, sorry Garreth. I didn't sleep well last night," I said, forcing myself to look at him.

It wasn't technically a lie. I was so hungover this morning. It's crazy to think that so much happened in a day. I had gone through so many events in the last 24 hours, I just wanted to go to bed right now. I was honestly debating skipping dinner, but again, Garreth would've probably taken it to heart. And then he would hold it against me forever.

He nods and goes back to eating his food, devouring a chicken leg. I looked down at my plate to get some of my own, because I hadn't eaten all day. I was starving. My empty stomach was about to eat itself from the inside out. I reached out for some food when suddenly I heard a noise and jumped, knocking over the bowl of mashed potatoes.

It was just Garreth's clean chicken bone falling onto his plate. Ew. Boys are disgusting. I slowly took my hands out of the mashed potato mess and put the rest that was still in the bowl onto my plate, along with some chicken pot pie, trying to avoid Garreth's gaze that was burning into my head.

He wiped his mouth with a napkin and turned towards me, one leg hanging outside the bench.

"So. Are you going to let me talk, or are you going to leave again?" He asked, the pain in his tone becoming recognizable instantly.

"I'm here, Garreth. Please. Speak." I say, already impatient. What if Sebastian had something good to say, and I was missing it?

I started shoveling my food into my mouth, trying to avoid conversation while he spoke. I didn't want to say something stupid.

"I know what you may have heard from some ease droppers around the school. But I promise, I only have eyes for you. What you heard about Poppy was all a lie. I knew she liked me, and I shouldn't have agreed to tutor her."

Ominis's words echoed in my head. "I think he was two-timing you." Every time I heard that, it didn't sting any less.

"It didn't hurt me that you were tutoring her, Garreth. What hurt me was the fact that you were using both of us," I blurted, putting my hand over my mouth. Whoops. Looks like the cat was out of the bag.

The surprise in his eyes seemed almost genuine. "What? I already told you, Aura, I wasn't with her. I never liked her." He mumbled, looking at the table.

"Are you sure about that? I have eyes everywhere. I heard what you said about her." Even though I didn't actually hear the specifics, maybe it would make him feel more threatened.

"Aura, please, look at me," He whispered. He lifted my chin to look at his face and soon we were inches apart. I could count every one of his freckles and every eyelash rimming his light gray eyes.

"Meet me tonight on top of the Astronomy Tower at 11. I promise. I'll make it up to you. I don't know what you're talking about, but maybe we can sort it all out. But there are too many people here. I'm trusting you to show up tonight, okay?" He said, smiling.

I pulled away and stared into space, trying to untangle my thoughts. Should I go? Or should I go to bed?

"It'll all be alright, darling." He whispered, barely audible to my ears. But I heard it anyway.