shallow waters

Sebastian gets on his broom and I look around the field, my eyes subconsciously landing on Garreth.

I've never admitted this to anyone. Not Sebastian, Ominis, Natty, or Imelda. Even though it's been about 2 months since we've broken up, I still miss him. Especially at night, when there's no one there to help me through it. I keep thinking about what would've happened if I hadn't followed Ominis's advice and if I had just listened to Garreth.

"We need to talk," I retorted. I pulled Garreth by his robes until a free corridor, and while his eyes looked confused, he was blushing underneath his freckles, and I almost had to smile.

"What's up?" He asked, his eyes darting around nervously.

I pinned him against the wall, but this time it wasn't supposed to be romantic. "Have you been cheating on me with Poppy?"

"What?! No!" His surprise seemed genuine, but I was too angry to realize.

"I heard from someone that you were bragging about it in the hallway today."

"Bragging about what? I've stayed loyal, Lia. I promise. I would never hurt you."

His words softened my heart, but I was still angry. "Garreth...I don't know if I can do th-"

He put his hand over my mouth, shutting me up. "Please. If you want to break up with me, do it, but let me have this one last thing." He pulled me into an embrace, tight, longing, and warm. I had to resist the urge to lay my head on his shoulder, but I hugged him back. He let go, smiled with tears in his eyes, and kissed my forehead.

"Goodbye, Aurelia."

I looked back up at the sky, wiping my tears and forcing myself to take my eyes off of Garreth. This hurt my heart more than it needed to. I knew I missed him, but this hurt inside of me was new. I haven't spoken to him in months, other than today. The thought made my stomach churn.

I looked back at Sebastian, feeling like I was betraying him. Sure, this was all fake, but having feelings for two people felt wrong, in a way. I loved both of them in different ways. Garreth was my first relationship, first kiss, first everything. And Sebastian felt like a new beginning.

This felt so wrong.

I chose to ignore my thoughts and watch the game instead.

The game starts and Sebastian immediately starts searching for the Snitch, but it was nowhere in sight, at least to my eyes. So I focus my attention elsewhere, and I see Garreth flying towards our Keeper with the Quaffle tucked under his arm, like a football.

I miss him so much.

I shook my head, clearing my mind to stay focused on the game, when I realized the score was now 10-40. I have got to work on this daydreaming problem.

Repeatedly, like watching a video on loop, a streak of gold went towards our hoops, holding the Quaffle. 90% of the time the Keeper would fumble the ball and it would go in, or he got too scared and flew away from it when it came near him. The other 10% was sheer luck. Luckily, we had decent chasers, but their Keeper was better. It was obvious these teams weren't on the same skill level, with the only evenly matched position being Seeker. Our Beaters were also decent, but their aim wasn't good enough to hit a moving object. The opposing team's Beaters were good, better than us, but Chaser was our team's second-best position, with them being able to dodge the Bludgers almost every time.

About a half hour later, the score was 20-100, and everyone was exhausted. The only people still actively moving were the Gryffindor chasers, throwing the ball around for fun at this point. The two Seekers were still watching for the Snitch, and I watched Sebastian's face as he looked for it in deep concentration. Then he got bored. He locked eyes with me, and I couldn't help but smile. He smiled back before making a throat-cutting gesture towards one of the Gryffindor beaters. I looked over and saw him ready to hit a home run with the way he was holding his bat; the Bludger coming at him at top speed. Our Chasers were exhausted, and they sat still in the sky for a moment, trying to catch their breath. The Beater aimed the Bludger towards a Chaser close to the ground, and I watched in slow-motion as he fell off his broom and towards the ground. Luckily, Sebastian saw what was happening, and he caught him on his broom before he hit the ground.