putting my life on the line

Walking into the Great Hall, I had no idea where to sit. Sure, I could take the obvious route and sit next to the Slytherins, hopefully grabbing a seat next to Ominis and not Sebastian, but Violet could be over there. It's not that I didn't like her, it's just I was getting pretty tired of her always being around, taking my rightful spot.

I could go sit with the Hufflepuffs, and attempt to talk to Poppy, but I don't think we're close enough friends for that yet.

Or I could sit with the Gryffindors, and talk to Natsai, although Garreth's existence throws this part of the plan off-course. I don't want to talk to him, because honestly, I have no good reason why I ditched him.

Garreth was sweet. He treated me well. But I was allowed to have my feelings about the situation. I respected his decision to move on. And I was grateful for the closure when he apologized that day. I wanted the Quidditch game day to be about Sebastian, but after Garreth told me that, I failed, in a way. He broke up with me the very next morning, while I was stuck wondering if Garreth meant what he said. I found myself confused by the situation involving both boys. Sebastian left me wondering whether there was something more hiding behind our fake relationship. He felt like a part of me. My kindred spirit. But he left me slightly heartbroken after I saw him with that girl the very next day. Was I nothing to him? Was I just another girl to add to his list? I thought we had more history than that.

We were best friends. And while that situation might change, I'll never forget him or the memories we've made, no matter how far we drift apart.

Meanwhile, Garreth left me confused and angry. I found the whole Poppy situation confusing. Garreth promised nothing was going on between them, but I believed my gut. I saw how she lit up when she was around him. He brought out the best in her. And how could I get in the way of that? I just needed to distance myself and get away from the situation entirely. I wanted her to be happy. And I didn't want him still having feelings for me to dim what light she had, shining to everyone around her.

So one choice ruled out. I'm not sitting with the Gryffindors. I look over at Poppy and find her deep in conversation with Adelaide. I guess I'll just stick it out with the Slytherins.

I walk over, hoping to find a free seat next to Ominis, but it looks like there's no room in sight. I start to walk away, hoping I could just talk to Natsai and find a way to ignore Garreth, but Ominis senses me and invites me over.

"Aura? Is that you? Come sit over here with us!" He moves over and leaves a spot open between him and Sebastian.

I love Ominis with all my heart, but Merlin, he's so oblivious sometimes. Did he not forget the conversation I just had with him the other day? Or maybe he had a plan to get us to talk? Either way, this probably wasn't going to turn out well.

"Hey Ominis." I sighed, sitting down.

"Is something wrong?" He asked, his foggy gray-blue eyes looking in my general direction.

"I have something to tell you. Just not right now." I eye Sebastian, and he's paying no attention to me, animatedly talking to Violet.

This is going to be a long lunch.

________

"So." Ominis grabs my shoulders and turns me towards him. "What's going on? And why haven't you told me anything that's been going on lately? I keep hearing this information from other people, Aurelia. It's like you're forgetting to tell me. We're best friends, aren't we?"

"Of course we are, Ominis. Why wouldn't we be?" I asked, genuinely curious.

He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Because, Aura. Every time something happens between you and Sebastian, I have to go track you down and ask what happened, because you won't tell me otherwise."