𝑭𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏

"What's with all the vegan snacks, man? Are you changing your life or something?" Andrew asked as he dug through the grocery bag I put on the floor in the foyer

I brought in everything else I'd bought and closed the door behind me, taking the bag from Andrew and carrying it into the kitchen with a few other bags.

"Please help me with the other bags." I said as I started putting the house's groceries away. "And these aren't for me. They're for a friend I invited to watch the games with us."

"You've got a vegan friend?"

"She's vegetarian, actually."

"She?" Andrew queried curiously. "You invited a woman over? Is she the girl you asked Tshepiso and I about at dad's place?"

"Yes."

"What's going on here? You went from saying you were only interested, to inviting her to watch the game with us behind my back. Now I have to sit around and watch you being all romantic with your new girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend, Andrew." I said as I accepted a bag of potatoes from him. "I don't even know if she likes me like that."

"The difference between what you just said and all that cocky nonsense you were spewing last week is crazy."

I sighed and gestured for him to pack as he talked because Cheyenne would be here with Ashley in about thirty minutes, and I wanted everything to be in order when she arrived.

"What I said last week was just smoke and mirrors, okay? Cheyenne is... a hard book to read. She hasn't given me much to work with and I've been in the friendzone for as long as I've known her."

"But you don't want to be?" Andrew went on.

"No. I don't." I said, clearing up the plastic bags and stuffing them in a drawer full of other plastic bags. "I'm starting to realise that what I feel is too big for the confines of a simple friendship."

"Are you sure that's not just your two year drought talking?" Andrew asked in a doubtful voice.

"If this was just lust, Drew, I wouldn't even be having this conversation with you. Trust me."

"That's cute, I guess." Andrew said in a bored voice. "Still, I'm not a fan of you inviting her."

"I told her to bring her friend Ashley. You might like her." I said in an effort to make him stop complaining.

"Oh. That changes...let's see...absolutely nothing. But whatever." he said, plopping down on the brown leather couch in front of the TV. "As long as they don't make it hard to watch the game, I'm good."

I shook my head at my brother, who was twenty-seven going on six. "You know, for someone who's hating on Uncle Jo's daughters, you sure do love their husbands."