𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚

Binti walked towards me with a smile on her face, a smile strengthened by the absence of the illness that had plagued her life for months, stolen her joy, dimmed her light

Binti walked towards me with a smile on her face, a smile strengthened by the absence of the illness that had plagued her life for months, stolen her joy, dimmed her light. She was still bald from the effects of the cancer, but two weeks after receiving her new liver, her whole body looked so much healthier, her cheeks much less gaunt, her complexion regaining its luster.

"Good morning, ma'am. How can I help you today?" I asked her, my voice bright, no signs of the heaviness it had adopted in the weeks before the transplant.

"Good morning, doctor." Binti beamed. "I'm here for my tests, though I feel okay."

"That's good. Over the next few weeks we'll just have to keep up with the tests to make sure that you really are okay." I pulled up her digital file on my tablet and gestured for her to follow me. This was a task typically reserved for nurses, but I preferred to do it myself if I had any free time. She was coming in regularly for us to run tests to ensure that her new liver was functioning properly and showing no signs of rejection or infection, as well as to make sure that the cancer she'd been fighting hadn't secretly spread elsewhere. So far, so good.

As I studied the images from the MRI I'd decided to tackle first, the door opened to reveal Chifundo, bright-eyed and giddy with a childish type of excitement.

"How's our champion doing this morning?"

"Good morning to you too." I laughed and pointed up at the screens in front of us. "You have to see it to believe it."

Chifundo took a moment to study the images, her grin growing with each second. "Not one cancer cell in sight. Mulungu ndi wankulu."

"Amen." I smiled and raised my hands in a gesture of praise. The two of us worked together and kept Binti company until all her tests were run and a clean bill of health was handed to her, and then I took my leave from the hospital, hoping that the good energy from this morning would follow Latoya and Cheyenne through the rest of this nerve wracking day.

•••

Alex and I sat side by side in court on Latoya's first day of trial

Alex and I sat side by side in court on Latoya's first day of trial. A few benches ahead of us, Latoya sat rigidly next to Ketura, who was saying things that her junior associate and Latoya would occasionally nod to.