𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓

"The cancer is progressing much faster than expected, Alex

"The cancer is progressing much faster than expected, Alex." Chifundo, our resident obstetrician, said with a frown on her face as the results of Binti's MRI scan filled the screens in front of us. "This is the fourth cycle of chemo we've done. Is it even still helping?"

"I talked to the oncologists about making adjustments to her treatment." I offered weakly, knowing there wasn't much they could really do.

"What adjustments? Radiation and immunotherapy are off the table. You've already opened her up and removed half her liver." she huffed, turning her wheeled office chair away so she wasn't facing the screens anymore. "The baby will be here in about a month. I thought we'd be done with this damn cancer by then."

"We would have been if the liver resection was effective. Now she has half a liver full of tumours and a lower chance of beating her cancer, since it has advanced so rapidly." I complained, leaving out the part where I'd known from the very beginning that resection was a big and unnecessary risk. It had already been done, and we were lucky Binti was still alive, her baby still miraculously healthy. Our main goal now was to keep it that way.

"Too many facts and not enough solutions." Chifundo said, standing and stretching her back. "I put you on this case for a reason, Alex. Please work your magic."

"I'm trying, Fundo." I nearly whined, the effects of the massage Cheyenne gave me yesterday quickly disappearing.

"I know." she said, her voice mirroring my exhaustion. "No pressure, but please try harder. Gotta go. I've got a patient to go check on. See you later."

I shook my head and heaved a sigh, my eyes immediately shutting from the exhaustion of keeping them open and alert for the past sixteen or so hours. It was nearly seven p.m. on one of the most difficult days in my life as a surgeon. I didn't know how I was even sitting upright after three surgeries and a disappointing look at Binti's abdomen, which revealed that cancerous tumours were gradually spreading through what remained of her liver.

With another sigh, I straightened up, grateful at least that this busy day had come to an end. I couldn't wait to fetch my baby girl from the nursery and call it a night. Before I did that, though, I had to call my lady. I perked up at the mere thought of hearing her voice, a sound that always soothed me.

Being with Cheyenne felt right in every way. The more time I spent with her, the more confirmation I got that she was made specifically for me and I for her. It was in the way she knew me, her heart, mind and body attuned to mine. She knew what I needed without me ever having to say a word. My satisfaction was her priority and I made sure to put her first in the same way, give her in abundance what she always willingly gave me.

I dialled her number with a smile on my face, my heart racing in excitement as each ring brought me closer to hearing her voice. The call connected, but all I could hear was Chey's faint breathing on the line.