𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚

My dad's backyard was more alive than I'd ever seen it, with five giggling children running around, cheerfully chasing after each other

My dad's backyard was more alive than I'd ever seen it, with five giggling children running around, cheerfully chasing after each other. My eyes kept landing on Rufaro as as she played freely with children she'd just met a few minutes earlier, her face bright and joyful.

I wondered if things would be as easy for the group of adults gathered here today. My dad and uncle had finally gone through with inviting our cousins and their mom to lunch, and the only person unable to join us was Desirée, who happened to be out of the country for the weekend.

Ornella, Aisha and Ketura were more than happy to make the trip, the three of them arriving together with their husbands and children in luxury cars driven by a security team.

"This is so weird, man. Hasani Kitembo really just walked out of my dad's living room with a baby in his arms." Andrew mumbled as Baba came out of the house, smiling with his nieces and their men. He'd just given them a chance to look through old photo albums of he and his brothers growing up. He'd also shown them some of Uncle Joseph's older art pieces that never made it to the gallery.

"Wena, I don't know what to do with myself." Tshepiso said in agreement with Andrew as he flipped the meat he was grilling. "There's not one, not two, but three Kitalo Blazers in the yard right now! Three of the best. Nna ke nyaka di autograph."

"I don't blame you." I laughed, my eyes still on them as my dad and uncle now introduced the group to Aunty Esme, Nyota and Zuri. The ladies couldn't stop squealing about how cute Aisha and Nella's infants were. Nella's baby girl Malaika, asleep in her dad's arms, was only three months old. Aisha's boy Jesse, a chubby six month old, was wide awake and smiling happily in Nyota's arms.

"Do you guys think it would be weird to ask them to video call Akim so we can say hi?" Tshepiso asked.

"Wow." I laughed. "Be serious, man."

"I am serious, hao. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

Andrew was about to say something when Hasani, Koffi and Chimwemwe started walking towards us, the ease of friendship and brotherhood between them painting wide grins on their faces as they spoke. They'd only taken a few steps in our direction before they were bombarded by their boys. Joseph, Aisha's toddler, screamed happily for his dad and ran into his arms. Soon, Nella's boys Yamikani and Yankho ran to Hasani as well.

Rufaro and Tshiamo approached the guys tentatively, not sure if they got to join their new friends in this fun moment with their dads and uncles. Koffi smiled at Rufaro and squatted to greet her and give her a high five. She immediately launched into a monologue about herself and Tshiamo smiled happily as Chimwemwe and Hasani engaged with him as well.

When the kids finally let them go, they walked the rest of the way to us, with Koffi towering over everyone at the grill.

"Can we help you guys with anything here?" Hasani asked Tshepiso.