𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝑻𝒘𝒐

"Wow, I can't believe you weren't lying

"Wow, I can't believe you weren't lying." Tendai said as she checked my temperature, her brow in a worried crease.

"Why would I lie about feeling sick, T?"

"Maybe not lying," she corrected, "but when you said you were dying, I thought for sure you were exaggerating."

"Well, now that you know I'm not, can you get Faro for me?" I rasped, my head feeling too big for my body. "I'll make up for it when I'm better."

"Of course I'm keeping her until you're better. You're not about to pass those Pamoja germs to my daughter." she smirked. "I'll come by later to drop off some proper meds, not this over the counter herbal tea nonsense you're drinking."

"Please don't come here with injections. I'll literally die, Tendai." I groaned, taking a sip of the ginger and lemon tea she just called nonsense.

"Gosh, I forgot that you're such a baby when you're sick." she laughed and stood to leave. "Get some rest. There's a patient's case I want you to look into as soon as possible."

"You mean before my Pamoja tenure is over?"

"Yep. You have one month to go. I'm pretty sure you've learned your lesson by now."

"You're lying." I scrutinised with narrow eyes. "It must be too much for Limbani to handle by himself."

"No, actually. It's an obstetrics case. Chifundo specifically  wants to work with you, since you've operated on a pregnant cancer patient before."

"So I'm your only option." I surmised, cracking my first smile since I fell sick last night. "You must be annoyed."

"Classic Alex Mujulizi. Cocky even in sickness." she rolled her eyes.

"You know it." I chuckled weakly. "Tell me about Fundo's patient."

"She's pregnant and fighting cancer in her liver. She wants to beat the cancer and give birth to a healthy baby."

"That's ambitious. Is there any chance of her getting a transplant soon?"

"We don't know. And you're way ahead of us." Tendai said with her hands in a calm down gesture. "Chifundo wants you to try resection first, but we did manage to get the patient on the priority list for a transplant in case that won't be possible. She's in her second trimester. So far, chemo is keeping the cancer at bay."

"Send me her digital file as soon as possible." I said. "I'll need details of every test that's been run so far, every scan, every—"

"Okay, I get it, Alex." Tendai laughed. "Save your breath. I'll send the file as soon as I get back to the hospital."

I waited a painstaking fifteen minutes before my phone buzzed with the file in question. I lay back on the couch and dove in, reading through everything. The patient, Binti, was in her forties, pregnant with her fourth child and fighting cancer for the first time in her life. Luckily for her, she was in the early stages of cancer and had no serious medical conditions otherwise.