CXLVII: I'm Not An Owl

Oliver Kent stood at the window of the room at the Hogsmeade Inn, watching the bustle of the street below. Halloween night had come and gone and 1 November had dawned like any other day.

Behind him, Wally was talking, moving about the room, packing up his things. He was headed back to London for the week, but Oliver was staying in Hogsmeade. Wally had a job, he worked at some sort of muggle medical clinic (he hadn't really detailed what he did exactly to Oliver yet, they hadn't done much talking, honestly), and he was to have his daughter Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before returning to Hogsmeade the next weekend. Oliver got the feeling Wally didn't really want him getting to know Olivia, or having any contact with Geri. He understood, but wondered how long things would be like that.

"Ollie?"

He turned 'round. "Sorry, what?"

Wally paused in the middle of folding a jumper into a suitcase. "You alright, love?"

"Yeah," Oliver replied absently.

Wally took a deep breath. He knew it was a lie. They'd all known James and the other Marauders, of course, but Oliver had been closest to them, especially after he'd been adopted by Jasper Odair. Wally reckoned that Oliver projected the pain of losing his parents into the loss of the Potters, too, and he knew Oliver identified with Harry a lot. All those years of collecting paper clippings... Oliver didn't process things well, he held them in his bones and muscles and broke apart slowly, one little bit at a time, repressing all he could until it had impacted too much and become an explosive.

The question was when and how the pressure would blow.

But Wally didn't have a choice except to get back to real life. Oliver lived a dream life of luxury and freedom that few people were able to replicate, and Wally liked his work, so he'd never dream of letting it go.

Oliver was still staring out the window as Wally magicked shut the suitcase and stood it up near by the door. He walked over to Oliver and pressed a kiss to the back of Oliver's neck. "I'm going to miss you," Wally told him.

"I'll miss you as well," Oliver said quietly.

"I think those boys were very excited to work with you," Wally said. "You're doing a good thing for them. I get the idea Cedric is a lot like you. Kind of hard on himself for no good reason. Build him up."

Oliver nodded, "And Herbert is his Wally."

"Poor sack," Wally joked.

"Cedric's lucky to have him."

"Lucky to have each other," Wally corrected. He paused, then, "Anything I can do for you before I go?"

"Besides don't?"

"Besides don't," Wally nodded.

"Nah, nothin' else," Oliver said.

Wally kissed Oliver's neck again and murmured, "I know it's funny but I've always loved the way your skin smells right here."

Oliver breathed a faint laugh.

"I think it's your cologne faded but lingering... and your own smell, your you-ness. And your hair."

Oliver turned around and hugged Wally into him, pressing their lips together.

When Wally pulled back, Oliver turned away again. He heard Wally say goodbye and he stood, staring out at the road until he saw him out there, leaving, and he sighed, closed his eyes, and drew the blind, plunging the room into darkness.

Hermione Granger could barely sleep. 

She tossed and turned all night, unable to stop worrying about Harry. He had looked so lost and confused when Dumbledore had called out his name in the Great Hall, and when he had stumbled over his robe, she'd had all she could do not to leap to her feet and walk with him to the top of the Hall. McGonagall's livid face as she came 'round the staff table at top speed to alight on Dumbledore had been all that had held her back. Then Ron - oooh Ronald! Hermione knew Ron was really hurt by what he thought was a betrayal on Harry's part. She had walked with him up to Gryffindor Tower when Dumbledore had dismissed the Great Hall at large before going in to speak to the Triwizard Champions. Snape had chased Hermione and Ron off, telling them to go to their dormitory in a most sour tone when they had tried to loiter about to wait for Harry, and then he, McGonagall, and Dumbledore had gone into the small room off the Hall and Filch and the prefects of the houses were left to herd all the students off to bed.