The Augury Nest

"The muggles don't know what's best for themselves, do they? That's the part nobody ever understands. Grindelwald wasn't particularly for killing the muggles, he's for protecting them, ultimately. For their own good. And everything that Grindelwald said would happen happened, didn't it? All the wars muggles have raged in the last century? All the deaths and killing machines and ravaged countries - and over what? Their bleedin' pride. Their greed. Their hatred and judgement. Over skin colors and creeds. The muggles forget to see each other as humans..." Barty Crouch shook his head, spinning the glass that sat on the table in front of himself, picking at the handpie on the plate in front of him as he spoke. "It's for the greater good, really. Grindelwald wanted to protect the muggles from themselves. From each other. And only wizards can do that for them... only wizards because we have the power to stop them Killin' each other, see?"

Peter nodded. "It's like he was saying in his book. About how the wizards would be in control only because magic is more powerful than non-magic, because if fate bestows magic upon a person, then they have been deemed by fate to be worthy of rulership?"

"Well, I dunno about that part," Barty scowled, "There are plenty of wizards who possess magic but aren't worthy of anything."

"But the general idea is that wizards are superior because of magic," Oni input.

"Yes," Barty said, "And we can use magic to improve the world. To stop the muggles wars. To bring harmony. And this is good for everyone - wizards and muggles alike - and so the muggles must be... for lack of a better word... controlled... subdued." He tapped his finger against the table. "And why should wizards stay in hiding anyway?" he demanded, "Why us? Why not them? Why not the weak ones hiding their non-magic from us magic ones?"

"Yeah!" Peter said, shaking his head, "Why not?"

Oni said, "I mean, witches and wizards initially hid their magic from the muggles because they could be killed for being magic."

"And the sympathists think we're the judgemental, cruel ones," snorted Barty, shaking his head. "They kill us then get angry for keeping magic to ourselves?"

Oni shook her head.

"And worse, now, after hundreds of years of magic being in pureblood lines, suddenly magic is showing up in common muggles? They're stealing our magic from us," Barty said, a look of distaste on his face. "All Grindelwald proposed was a return to the wizarding world being free and open again, to oversee peace in the world between muggles and wizards."

"And what about... Voldemort?" Oni asked.

Barty eyed her and Peter felt a chill go down his spine at the name.

Everyone in his group of friends had very carefully avoided saying the name of the Dark Lord out loud ever since the morning Regulus Black had disappeared from the kitchen table at the sound of it. But nothing happened when Oni said it. Several beats of anxious waiting passed before Peter sighed relief that none of them had disappeared from the table.

Barty said, "Voldemort's a bit more... extreme... than Grindelwald's beliefs called for. But the Dark Lord has been wronged by muggles. He's seen their cruelty first hand. He has a score to settle. He has the passion to muster the world, the charisma to lead the fight. He doesn't have it all right - neither did Grindelwald. But you have to rally around someone. Someone must lead the way. And he has the power..." Barty shrugged. "I know what Dumbledore would have his followers believe of the Dark Lord and of Grindelwald..." Barty lowered his voice, "Honestly, Dumbledore's got a great deal of personal vendettas and scores to finish off with'em both. You wanna look at questionable people - look at Dumbledore himself. At least the Dark Lord is open about his prejudices. Don't think for a second Dumbledore hasn't got'em. He has."