The Business of Miracle Making

The babies were small little things with whisps of black hair across their heads and confused-looking eyes that stared up at whoever leaned over to look at them. Jasper and Meg each held one, switching so they could take equal turns with them, and Lily's eyes were all gooey as she stared over Meg's shoulder and James rearranged the chrysanthemum stems in the vase as he bit his lip nervously and watched as Lily cooed and oogled over the twins. "They're so beautiful, you two," she said, teary, "You've done such a brilliant job of it."

Lily couldn't stop talking about how wonderful the babies were, and her heart grew about a hundred sizes when Oliver got to hold baby Frankie and Kevin held baby Farah and the other boys gathered 'round to see, too, and Eli asked how come the babies weren't talking and Michael said, "They were just born, dummie, they don't talk 'til they're like a month or two old."

"Try a year or two," Oliver said.

"What? That long?" Nathan asked, "But how do we know what they want to watch on telly if they can't talk?"

"I don't think they'll care about telly if they can't talk," Kevin said, rolling his eyes.

Wally hovered back, smiling as he watched Oliver's excitement, and James nudged Wally's shoulder at one point, "I'm sure he's glad you're here," he said encouragingly.

Wally nodded.

When the time came and visiting hours were ending, Jasper kissed the babies and promised Meg he'd be back in the morning to see her, and they all filed out of the room, saying goodbye to Meg and the twins as the mediwitch and nurse came to bring the babies back to the nursery.

"Oh hello Mrs. Potter!" the mediwitch said, recognizing her from the sonogram appointment. "Where's Moral Support?" she joked. "Is this the elusive Mr. Potter?"

Lily gave her a wide-eyed look to stop talking, and said quickly, "Yes this is Mr. Potter."

The mediwitch smiled and nodded, flushing and turned away, focusing on Meg and the twins.

James looked at Lily as they were walking down the hall a moment later, "How'd that mediwitch know you?" he asked.

"I had an appointment the other day for a checkup," Lily said hurriedly, then quickly stepped ahead to talk to Jasper.

Jasper hugged Lily before he turned and thanked James for coming. Sirius had already headed home after catching a glimpse at the twins, and Jasper asked Lily to tell Sirius thanks for having come, too. She promised she would and James congratulated Jasper again and Jasper hugged him and murmured, "Soon it'll be your turn in there," to James as they said bye.

James glanced at Lily, who was talking to Eli and Nathan across the room, then back to Jasper, "Maybe," he said in a tone that sounded like someone who'd rather given up on the idea. 

Jasper patted James's shoulder, "Hang in there, mate."

Oliver and Wally said bye then and they took the floo back to Flitwick's office with the special password in, and Lily kissed Eli's cheek and bid the boys all goodnight and congratulations on becoming big brothers as Jasper herded everyone off through the floo back to Diagon Alley, back to their flat over the ice cream parlor. Lily turned to James, "Ready to go home?"

"I'm exhausted honestly," James said, nodding his agreement.

Lily smiled and laced her fingers through his and they went to the disapparation hall and apparated away from Mungo's.

James let Lily lead the way and they ended up in the street of Godric's Hollow, down the lane from their house, at the foot of Godric Gryffindor's statue at the fountain. They both stood there, lingering a moment, rather than turning immediately to walk home.  It was quite dark by now, the stars and moon overhead and the street lamps glowed. Water splashed in the fountain and James stood staring up at it, his hands in his pockets as he stared at Godric's benevolent face carved into the granite. James fished about in his pocket and found a knut. He stared up at statue and closed his eyes, holding the knut tightly. After a moment's wishing, he tossed the coin into the pool at the Founder's feet with a little splash.