The First Quidditch Game

"AAAAAAAAAAND THIS EVENING... WE HAVE THE FIRST MATCH OF THE HOGWARTS QUIDDITCH SEASON BETWEEN.... HUFFLEEEEEEEPUUUUUUUUUFF AND RAVENNNNNNNCLAWWWWWW!" Dexter's voice carried 'round the pitch, echoing off the stands as students from all four houses crowded into the stands excitedly, the lights over the pitch turned on in the late afternoon light. The trail to the pitch from the castle was strewn with fairy lights that floated over the walkway, illuminating the stragglers as they hurried across the grounds to see the match.

"CA-CAW, CA-CAW! RAVEN-CA-CLAW!" shouted Ravenclaws in the stands, chanting and clapping.

"For a bunch of smarties you'd think they'd have a better chant," muttered Wally, rolling his eyes as he followed Ollie Kent up through the stands. Ollie laughed, and nodded, grinning back over his shoulder at Wally. "Aw look the wee ones think they're clever flapping their arms like they've got wings, the little tossers." 

Oliver glanced over the wall of the stair that led up to the top boxes and smirked, then looked back at Wally, "I remember you making lion claws in our first year." He mimed at scratching the sky, mocking Wally's younger self.

"Oi shut it!" Wally demanded, "Or there won't be any snogging for you later."

"Oh come off it, Wally, I know better - of course there will be snogging later, you're not able to resist me." Oliver laughed all the harder, eyes sparkling as he paused on the landing above where Wally stood, did the lion claws again, then turned and jogged up the steps, Wally following after him.

"THE EAGLES AND THE BADGERS ARE READY TO GO AT IT HEAD-TO-HEAD! AND WE'VE GOT OUR NEW REFREE IN PLACE, THE ONE AND ONLY JAAAAAAAAMES POTTTTTTTTTERRRRRRR!"

The Gryffindors let out loud shrieks and cheers - even little Sarah, who was wearing her quidditch goggles to the game and could read everything Dexter was commentating. She clapped excitedly and quickly signed to Macy how excited she was and Macy hugged her sister tightly.

Down on the field, James was stretching his shoulders out, the silver whistle laying across his chest, eyes searching the stands for Lily, Sirius, Remus, Peter and Dora - all of whom had said they would come to the match to see his first time out as a referee, but none of whom appeared to be actually at the match. James frowned, wondering what was making them so late and hoping that everything was alright. Lily had said she was alright when he left - surely if something had changed, she would've sent word? Or Dora would have?

He spotted McGonagall in the box directly behind Dexter's commentator seat, Dumbledore just settling in beside her and Elphinstone Eurquart, who looked jovial and was laughing loudly, head thrown back as he clapped and looked over at Dumbledore. Minnie was peering down at him with interest and he waved at her - she waved back, then turned to Elphinstone as he tapped her on the shoulder.

James bent to unpack the balls, tucking the quaffle under his elbow and holding onto the snitch in his fist. The little wings fluttered between his fingers eagerly and he felt the tiny gold ball bouncing off his palms. The ball was particularly energized. For old times sake, he released it and caught it again a couple times, grinning at the ball's tenacity as it fluttered doubly hard against his hand each time he caught hold of it again. The bludgers shivered and bucked against their bindings in the box.

When he looked back up again into the stands on his way to the center of the pitch, it was to see Remus peering over the box wall down at him, Peter beside him, offering him up a licorice wand, and Sirius and Lily talking, looking at one another instead of down at him. He waved and Peter waved enthusiastically back. 

Where's mum? he mouthed.

Remus pointed to the box where McGonagall sat and James saw Dora excitedly sitting beside McGonagall, whispering into her friend's ear. Minnie covered her mouth and wrapped Dora into a great big hug as James watched.