The Lavender Vial

Sirius Black apparated onto the road in front of the kirkyard in Godric's Hollow and had barely gained his footing before he was running across the street, splashing through puddles and to the little gate that closed in the garden wall. It creaked as it opened. He ran across the garden, feet hitting the stones that lined the walk to the stoop, and without bothering to knock, Sirius burst into the Potter cottage, slamming the door behind him.

"Lilith?!" he yelled, looking about. 

Dora was in the kitchen, cooking, and Sirius could smell chicken and spices and she was humming as she waved a wand and a series of spices shook over a large pot on the stove. Sirius bounded over as Dora called, "Hi sweetheart!" 

"Hi mum," Sirius said and he stood on the opposite side of the large bar counter, looking over the things laid out. "Chicken soup?" he asked.

"Yes for Lily. She's not feeling so well today," Dora explained. 

"Yes I know..." murmured Sirius. "Where is she?"

"She's upstairs resting."

He spotted some lemons there on the counter top. "What're those for?" 

"All part of the recipe. Lemon-ginger-turmeric soup - knocks an illness right out!" Dora chirped.

"Nix the citrus, mum," Sirius said, turning quickly to head for the stairs. "We're sensitive to it right now."

"Pardon?" Dora asked, confused, but Sirius had already launched himself up the first part of the flight of steps. Dora stared at the lemons, then shrugged.

Sirius ran up the stairs and bolted down the hallway to the Potter's bedroom. He pushed the door open without knocking and found Lily laying in bed, having nodded off, a book laying across her chest. It was one of the books about magique amour she'd been given by Professor Laurie titled Loving Your Enemies and her mouth was slightly open, hair splayed over the pillow. He rushed up to her and knelt beside the bed, shaking her shoulder gently. He could feel she was still nauseous and extreme motion might set her off again. 

"Lilith?" he said quietly.

Her eyelashes fluttered and he shook her shoulder again.

"Lily? Lily. Lily. Lily. Lily. Liiiiilllllly."

She opened her eyes, blinking against the light that silhouetted him. "Sirius? Honey?"

"Wake up, I need to talk to you," he said urgently, his eyes bright and face flushed. "Lily.. Lily wake up. Wake up."

"Are you alright?" she asked, trying to press past her own nausea to check on what Sirius was feeling - but all she could feel was her own nausea reflected back and a streak of nervous, energetic excitement that she could see clearly on his face. "Oh I'm sorry, are you ill, too, honey? Did you catch it?"

"I don't think it can be caught," Sirius let out a low version of his barking laugh.

Lily, still waking up, groaned and sat up slowly, the book falling onto the empty side of the mattress. "What?" She was clutching her stomach which felt as though it had flipped when she sat up, the nausea returning. She winced and half leaned over the bed, afraid she might throw up without warning.

"Morning sickness," Sirius said lowly.

She looked up at him.

He stared at her, eyebrows raised.

"Oh my stars." She shoved the blankets back, rolling her legs quickly over the side of the bed, and pushing up from the bed quickly. Sirius leaped to his feet, jumping out of the way. She wobbled and caught herself against the dresser, a bit dizzy, and moved as quickly as she could, palm against the wall, headed for the bathroom.