Mums for the Mum

The gate in front of the Potter Cottage in Godric's Hollow creaked as James pushed it open. He paused to look at the hinge, his brow furrowing with concern, and made a mental note to come back out after he'd put his things down and fix the gate - his arms were full and his wand was in the leather scabbard Lily had made for him, strapped to his waist. He hurried on up the walk and elbowed his way into the cottage, calling out, "Evans, I'm home!" as he stepped into the warmth of the house.

The fireplace in the living room was flickering comfortingly, and the house was toasty and warm compared to the drizzly autumn air he was coming in from outside. He'd walked home from the grocery, where he'd stopped on his way back from his day working with Underhill at the Ministry. He'd noticed they were out of eggs and bacon and the usual breakfast supplies that they always had on Friday mornings - one of the days that both he and Lily were home for the early part of the day together - and he'd stopped to pick them up. In addition to the paper bag from the market, he also had a bouquet of white chrysanthemums in the crook of his elbow, which he'd spotted on his way to the check-out and thought of Lily and how she'd been feeling ill all week and he wanted to cheer her up.

The house smelled of onions and carrots, peas and potatoes, squash and all the good things that went along with his favorite roast and he grinned, his mouth instantly salivating at the scent. "Oooh," he groaned happily, and he paused at the doorway to bend down and untie his Ministry work boots. He plodded, barefoot, into the kitchen, putting away the breakfast things he'd bought and reaching under the sink for one of the vases that Lily kept there. A quick jolt of his wand and an aguamenti charm had filled it with a bit of water and he stuck the bouquet into it, leaving it there on the counter for her. He peeked into the oven and saw a little roast in there, grinned at it, and closed the oven door, hastening for the stairs. 

"Evans?" he called out as he jogged up the stairs in his stocking feet, unbuttoning the twenty-eight buttons that zagged across his chest as he shrugged off the Ministry uniform vest and started unbuttoning the oxford shirt beneath it. He pushed opened the bedroom door, expecting her in there, but she wasn't there, either. His brow furrowed and he went to the closet, shrugging off the oxford and slinging it and the Ministry-issued vest into the hamper. He pulled out a plain grey t-shirt and changed into a pair of sweatpants, running his hand through his hair. "Oi, Evans, where are you?" he called out.

He was just about to head back downstairs, when the bedroom door opened and there was Lily, fresh out of a shower, her hair knotted up in a towel, face red from the water, her dressing gown 'round her, knotted at the waist, and her eyes bright. She grinned when she saw him, "James! You're home!" She went over and wrapped her arms around him. She still smelled of warm soap and her skin was warm to the touch as he pulled her close and gave her a kiss.

"Hey love," he said, grinning at her. "Did you cook or mum?"

"Me. Mum went to Minnie's for dinner."

"Yeah? Are the dogs coming over?"

"Nope, just us tonight," Lily replied. 

"Really?" James sounded surprised. It was hardly ever just them. He smiled, and kissed her again.

"I wanted to surprise you with the roast," she said.

"I'm surprised," he grinned. "It had my mouth watering the second I smelled it."

"Brilliant," she answered. "I have another surprise for you also."

"Yeah?" he asked.

 "Yeah," she nodded.

"If it's butterbeer cookies, I may knock over with joy," James said, eyes sparkling.

"It has nothing to do with food," she said.