Break on Through

Horrified at what she found at Rick's, Elena ran to the first person who came to mind, the person who was first to come to mind more and more recently.

She raced over to the Boarding House, not even bothering to knock... I mean technically she did still own the place and immediately headed up to Damon's bedroom.

Running in she stops dead in her tracks once she sees a half-naked Damon on the bed underneath a thin silk sheet while the shower is going in his adjoining bathroom.

It's not hard to imagine what she just walked in on.

She starts apologizing and goes to turn and leave when she hears the shower sharply shut off.

"Elena, wait, it's not what-" Damon says scrambling out of bed and wrapping the shit around his waist as he tries to make Elena stop and listen.

"No, sorry, I should have knocked... I was... I found..." Elena sputters trying to explain her presence.

"Come on love, spit it out, what was it that you found?" Sage asks coming out of the bathroom stark naked.

"Uh never mind," she says averting her eyes running off horrified for the second time today.

"Elena wait!" Damon called after her wanting to explain but it's too late.

"Why, why would you do that?" he spins around asking Sage more than a little annoyed with her actions.

"I take it that's the girl you might be seeing soon? Interesting you failed to mention her being the doppelganger," Sage points out sourly.

"Look either tell me what you saw in Rebekah's head this morning when you snuck into Stefan's room or get out," Damon tells her.

"I'd rather show you," she says trying to pull him into a kiss but he pulls his head back.

"Uh huh, use your words," he tells her.

"What's the fun in that, besides she already thinks you screwed me," she points out.

"Sage," he warns and she pouts a little but gives in.

"Ugh fine, Rebekah found markings in a cave that depicted a new white oak tree, one that sprouted from the ashes of the original one they burned down and then I got images of her speaking to the town's mayor about milling records from that time period," she explains.

"There's another white oak tree," Damon says before zooming to another part of the house where he pulls out records from 1912.

He flips through it and finds where the tree was shipped to: the old Wickery Bridge.

"Dumb fucking luck," he mutters, "you gotta be kidding me."

Meanwhile, after running away from the Boarding House Elena decided to reach out to Alaric and just ask him about what she found.

There had to be a simple explanation, even if the ring had been messing with his mind surely he'd never involve Jeremy and endanger him no matter what evil alter ego might be linger under the surface.

No this had to be some trick... someone who knew about the ring and was setting him up.

They met at her house, Meredith drove him over needing to leave for work anyway. She passed along her tranquilizers to Elena just in case and left them to it.

"So what was so urgent, were you not able to find the ring?" He asks sitting down with her in the living room.

"No I found it but I found something else first," she explains before nervously passing over the note and apparent hit list.