Opposite Action

The next day Elena woke up determined not to let life get her down anymore.

She was practicing opposite action out the DBT handbook she had found among her father's things when they cleared out his office after he died.

So instead of staying in bed and wallowing she got up, showered and set out to do something thoughtful and productive with her day.

She decided to try baking something for Alaric doing her best to follow directions from a cookbook so she could bring over muffins not knowing if Damon and Stefan had actual food in their house to feed their human guest.

She knocked on the door, having learned her lesson about walking in on Damon and his potential bedmates.

He came to the door but didn't offer to let her come inside which she found strange.

"Sorry, still not comfortable with you being around Alaric so soon, let's have him go a whole week without attempting to murder anyone before we forgive and forget, huh?" he says.

"Um, okay, well will you make sure he gets these," she says holding up the basket of muffins she made.

"Oooo, chocolate muffins. You know what they say; a way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach."

Elena rolls her eyes with a smile, "they're not for you, it's food for the actual human in your house," she says.

"Also a psycho killer," Damon points out, "you still have the shiner to prove it," he says his hand coming up to caress her face, "I could give you some blood if you want," he offers.

"No, it's fine, Caroline can help me with makeup later," she says turning down his offer.

"Just take them and give it to him, tell him I miss him, okay?" she asks.

"Of course," Damon says before saying goodbye and closing the door.

It really felt like Damon had been trying to rush her off which was not something Elena was used to... it made her think he might be up to something but decided in the spirit of opposite action she wouldn't go looking for trouble to day and forced herself to turn around and just leave it alone. 

Inside Damon listens to make sure she's really gone before re-joining Stefan and Alaric who they currently had on a work release program.

Once Stefan gives him the go-ahead nod Alaric turns the saw back on and continues making stakes out of the Wickery Bridge sign they rescued.

"This needs to have a sharper point," Stefan says examining his work.

"I got it," Damon says taking it from Stegan to file a bit more.

"We finally have our own stakes to kill an Original. I'm not gonna miss because you can't whittle," he tells him, his human blood diet still making him a tad more snapping than usual.

"I said I got it. Stop micromanaging," Damon complains.

"Looks like you guys have got this under control, I'm gonna call the sheriff," Ric says stopping the saw after his final cut adding the last stake to the pile and putting on his jacket.

Damon and Stefan share a look before going after him.

"The Sheriff?" Stefan asks.

"I want to turn myself in," Alaric explains.

"No you don't," Damon tells him.

"I have a homicidal alter ego. Unlike some people in this room, I would like to take responsibility for the people I've killed... and tried to kill," he tells them.