Chapter Three: JOSEPH POV

Bram was not lying. He never returned to the house after our fight. I was convinced that on Tuesday morning, he would apologize for his ridiculous plan. The week passed without contact from my brother, and reality had sunken in.

He was never coming back. He abandoned his family forever.

Clara and Miles were smart enough not to say anything to me. The empty bottles of whiskey were piling on the porch. My brain was foggy from the alcohol, but my thoughts remained on Bram.

Did he actually go to the city? Did he turn around halfway when he realized his mistake? Was he stuck in New York and wanting to come back? He must have realized this was wrong.

One thing was clear: he needed to return to the farm.

I had to keep this family together. Our father would be so disappointed to know what had become of us.

Clara and Miles were quiet but snuck glances at me as we ate breakfast. My eyes were focused on Father's empty chair. How could Bram sit there and squirm as he explained his betrayal?

I dropped my spoon in the empty bowl. Clara looked up at me as I raked my fingers through my hair. I shook my head as I muttered a curse.

"I can't do this," I said.

"What are you talking about?" Clara asked.

She already knew why I was upset, but I gestured to the empty chair.

"Bram knows he made a mistake," I said. "He's too embarrassed to come back."

"There is not much we can do," Clara said.

"I'll go to New York and get him myself."

Miles chuckled. Clara and I furrowed our brows as we looked at our son. When was the last time he laughed? I have not heard the sound since he was a child.

"Good luck," Miles said. "You'll be bringing him back kicking and screaming. He's not coming back here."

I drummed my fingers on the table. Miles had a point. I would not have to give him the option.

"I'll have to make him unconscious," I said.

"There is the medicine in the barn," Miles said. "It knocks the horses out."

"Joe, you can't be serious?" Clara asked. "What about Mary and the girls?"

"They will follow when I have Bram," I said.

Clara opened her mouth to speak, but I raised my hand to silence her. Miles looked up from his bowl, and I could see the corner of his lips tugging into a smile.

"I'm going to get Bram," I said. "When I return, this family will be back together."

There was an ache across my temple. I stopped drinking so I would have a clearer mind. My horse's hooves clicking against the road was the only noise I had to distract myself. The haunting thoughts of Bram replayed on repeat in my mind. My grip on the reins was tight and caused my knuckles to ache.

I had left the farm shortly after breakfast. Hours were spent on the road, and the horses were exhausted when the sunset. I stopped when I saw a tavern because the horses needed a break. I could also use a drink but would have to limit it to one. My mind needed to stay clear.

The tavern was small and full of cigar smoke. A group of men were gathered around the bar. I went to the far end, not wanting to be forced into their conversation. Their booming laughter caused jolts of pain to run through my skull. I leaned against the counter and ordered a drink.