Chapter Twelve: MAISIE POV

My plan to act compliant and build their trust unraveled when Clara helped me prepare for their deranged wedding. I managed not to cry when she gave me a dress, but I could not keep my composure when she braided my hair. Clara spoke about my future with Miles, and the realization washed over me that I may never escape. I could be trapped in this house for the rest of my life. I could actually die under this roof.

Clara rambled about how I would be helping my children prepare for their wedding one day. The decades of being forced to live in this prison suddenly became a potential reality. I was not capable of holding back my tears. I was forced to stare at our reflection in the vanity as I cried. Clara secured the final pins while I sobbed.

Joseph dragged me out of the room. I could only remember brief moments of his makeshift wedding. I struggled to breathe as panic had taken over. The cold metal of his knife against my arm was the only memory lingering in my mind. Would he have actually cut me?

My bones were heavy with exhaustion from my screaming and crying. It was a slight relief when Miles dragged me out of the living room.

He forced me to sit on the edge of the bed. I clutched my chest. My heart was pounding, and my breath was shaky. Miles kneeled in front of me. His face was unreadable as he watched me attempt to regain my composure.

"You feel alright?" he asked.

My knuckles ached as I let go of the dress. I wiped my sweaty palms on the skirt. My body was trembling, and goosebumps spread across my skin.

I needed to restart.

Any trust they would have had in me would have disintegrated. I cursed myself for having a meltdown. At least this was only my second night in this house. I did not destroy weeks or months' worth of trust. My stomach churned at the thought of being trapped here for so long. I focused on my breathing so that I would not cry again. I could not fail again.

"I'm okay," I said.

"I have something for you," Miles said. "I wasn't able to give you it downstairs."

The corner of his lips tugged into a smile. I raised a brow as he reached into the pocket of his trousers. He held his hand out, and something was in his palm. I squinted and leaned forward to see that it was a ring. Three small diamonds were embedded into the gold band.

"It was my grandmother's," he said. "We don't have much, but we held onto it."

Miles grabbed my left hand. His hands were rough as he forced the ring onto my finger. I gasped as he kissed my fingers. His lips lingered on the ring, and I struggled to breathe. I closed my eyes as I pushed away the panic.

"Never take it off," Miles said. "I always want to see it on your finger."

The floor creaked as Miles got off his knees. I opened my eyes and ripped my hand away. I fiddled with the ring, and a small smile crept onto my lips. The band looked like real gold. When I escaped, I would have this piece of jewelry. I could sell it and would not have to return to selling my body immediately. I could have a chance once I get out of this house.

Miles unbuttoned his shirt and dropped it on the floor. The bed dipped as he sat next to me. He was so close that his thigh was pressed against mine, and his arm brushed mine. I would have to force myself to be with him again tonight. It would be necessary to build their trust again. Miles grabbed my hand and pulled it into his lap. He examined the ring on my finger.

A heavy silence filled the air. Miles said nothing as his eyes were focused on the ring.

I chewed on my lip to stop myself from ripping my hand away.

"Are you happy?" he asked.

"Yes," I lied.

It was a miracle that my voice did not crack and I was able to stop myself from bursting into tears. He squeezed my hand and ran his thumb across my knuckles.

"I love you," he said.

I took in a sharp breath. No man had ever said those words to me. No man ever cared enough. Despite wanting to build his trust, I could not repeat his words. A lump had formed in my throat.

Miles squeezed my hand again. Was he waiting for me to speak? What would I say? My own thoughts were leaving my brain, and all I could hear were his words echoing in my mind.

I love you.

Did he actually think he loved me? Had Joseph already convinced him that we were in love? He knew nothing about me, just that I had let him use my body.

"Maisie?" he asked, trying to gain my attention.

I ripped my hand out of his grip. Focusing on my breath became more challenging as my head was spinning. Screaming and crying were not an option, so I had to try to keep calm. I could not waste time. They needed to trust me quickly.

"I'm sorry," I said.

I glanced at Miles to see he was raising a brow. My hands were clasped in front of my chest so he would not grab me. He ran his fingers through his hair as he shook his head. Silence passed between us before he moved to get down on his knees in front of me. His face returned to an unreadable expression. He was no longer looking at my face, but his attention was focused on my body. I shuddered at the thoughts that must be crossing his mind.

My clasped hands blocked my chest, but his gaze was lower. He placed his hands on my hips and pulled himself closer. His bare chest was pressed against my knees, and I prayed he could not feel me continuing to tremble. One hand slid from my hip to cover my stomach.

"We'll have babies soon," he said. "That's what is next."

I bit down on my lip. My fingers curled into fists to resist the urge to push him away. I wanted to scream and fight back, but it was futile. I needed to commit to building their trust.

"That is what would be next," I said.

I had never slept next to a man before Miles. Men were quick to leave after being with me, which was how I preferred it.

Miles snored, and it was odd to lie next to him in the darkness. Although I curled on my side at the edge of the bed, Miles's arm was tight around my waist. There was no space for me to wiggle free. Even when unconscious, he still managed to trap me.

I spun the wedding ring on my finger as I tried to devise my escape plans.