Chapter Six: MAISIE POV

The headache had calmed to a bearable throb. A few hours ago, Clara brought me a glass of water while I sobbed. I hated being reduced to nothing but tears; however, I did not have much choice. Whatever Joseph drugged me with had lingering effects. I was unable to find the strength to fight back.

I cradled my head in my hand as I sat on the bed. My other hand kept the blanket tight around my body. The pain had died down in my muscles, but my arms shook as I pushed myself to the edge of the bed. I grabbed the glass; the water was like heaven against my dry tongue. My eyes were focused on the door. How many people were in this house? How big was this house? Could I slip out of the house without anyone noticing?

Running away and only wearing this blanket was better than staying in this place. Joseph had some deranged thoughts about me marrying his son. There was no way that he could mean what he said. None of this could be real. This was some kind of sick nightmare.

I sighed as I closed my eyes. Joseph seemed like a safe haven after those men, especially Amos. I would have been better off if I left the bar with that brute instead. That would have been a night of hell. If Joseph were serious, I would be trapped in a life of terror.

The floor creaked as someone walked toward the bedroom. I held my breath as I scanned the room, looking for a hiding place. If I was unable to run, I needed to be smart. I was unable to devise a plan before the door opened. My eyes widened when I saw someone new walk in.

His size was the first thing I noticed. It was hard to ignore because he was so large. He was one of the tallest men I had ever met, and his shoulders were broad. Dark strands of hair hung in his face. His shirt sleeves were rolled, and his clothes were splattered with dirt. He froze in the doorframe, and his brows furrowed as he looked at me. I swallowed past the lump in my throat. My knuckles ached from my grip on the blanket. I could not look away from the man. Was this Joseph's son? What was his name again? Miles?

He closed the door, and I wanted to stay strong. Around Amos, I could keep my chin held high, but this man was causing me to crumple under his stare. Amos would sneer, but Miles' face was a blank and unreadable stare. I was unable to gauge how disgusting his terrible thoughts were. What was he planning? I could no longer look at this strange man and looked down at my lap. My blonde hair fell past my shoulder and hid my face like a curtain.

I could not look at this man. He said nothing as he lingered by the door and stared at me. My breath was shaky when the floor creaked as he came closer. I had to resist the urge to push myself higher up the bed. It would be a futile attempt to get away from him, and I would further trap myself in this room.

His shoes came into view, but I still did not move. I had never been paralyzed by fear before, but now I could only tremble. He lowered himself onto his knee. His eyes scanned my body, mainly focusing on my bare shoulders.

"Where are your clothes?" he asked.

"I don't know," I said.

Luckily, I was able to form more than one word.

"When did you take them off?" he asked.

"I didn't," I said. "I woke up like this."

Miles cringed as he looked at me from head to toe again.

"I didn't know he'd use it on you," he said. "I suggested the tranquilizer for Bram."

"Who is Bram?" I asked.

"Someone you are better off not mentioning."

Was he supposed to get someone else? None of this would have happened if I had never talked to Joseph in the tavern. Why did I have to be so dumb? I was naive, and my guard was down because he was a new customer. My reckless behavior had ruined my life.