Chapter Eighteen: MAISIE POV

Clara and I were finishing dinner when I heard the lock click. A weird routine had formed in this house over the last couple of weeks. Everything happened in a particular order. The sound of the lock clicking became the signal that Miles and Joseph were done working outside for the day.

Miles barged through the door and into the kitchen. His movements were frantic, which was unusual. The chain to his key was dangling from his hand. He usually secured the key back around his neck before coming inside. His face was stern as he put his hands on my hips. My feet shuffled as he pushed me back, and I looked at him wide-eyed.

The door opened again, but Miles's body blocked my view. A mixture of male voices I did not recognize echoed in the house. I craned my neck to see who was in the house, but Miles moved to keep me hidden. His face was unreadable as he looked down at me.

"Clara, we are having some guests for the night," Joseph said. "They are stranded. We'll take them into town in the morning."

I had not seen anyone from outside this family since Joseph brought me here. Why would they bring men into this house? He said they were stranded, but was he not afraid of me telling them I was brought here against my will? Was this why Miles was blocking me? Did they not trust me?

"Are they hungry?" Clara asked. "There should be enough food for all of us for dinner."

"Thank you very much," one of the new voices said.

I tried to move to look at the men, but Miles grabbed my waist and pulled me tight into his chest. He smelled like dirt and sweat. I scrunched my nose and tried to pull away, but he curled his fingers into my hips to keep me in place.

"Maisie, help Clara put dinner on the table," Joseph said.

Miles let out a huff of breath. He tightened his grip on me and kissed the top of my head before letting go.

What was Joseph doing? My head spun as I tried to understand his intentions. I was prepared for Miles to drag me upstairs and for them to tie me to the bed. Did they trust me around these men? Was this supposed to be some kind of test of loyalty? What would they do to me or these men if I failed? I could hear their voices as they were deep in conversation, but I could not focus enough to understand any of the words.

Miles stepped back but stayed close to my side as I helped Clara put the food on the table. Joseph sat at the table with two strange men. One was nervously running his fingers through his hair while he surveyed the room. The other man smiled when he looked at me.

"This is Maisie," Joseph introduced them to me. "She is my son's wife."

The one man's smile grew into something sickening.

"Maisie?" he said. "You look quite familiar."

It felt like my heart had stopped beating. I froze as I struggled to breathe. Did I know this man? How far away was this farm from the tavern? Had he been a customer? Most of the men's faces had become a blur. It was how I coped with selling my body to so many strange men.

"What did you say to her?" Miles snapped.

The man's smile fell, and his eyes were wide. I looked over my shoulder at Miles to see his hands clenched into fists. He must have had the same fears. We had not spoken about the tavern since the night Joseph had told him. He was protective, and I knew the thought of someone hurting me enraged him. Would he hurt one of those disgusting men if they were sitting in front of him?

"It was just a comment," the man said. He stumbled over his words as he tried to explain himself like he could not get the words out fast enough. "She just looks familiar. I did not mean anything by it."