Chapter Five: JOSEPH POV

Clara did not say another word to me. She knew not to argue and complain, so she kept herself busy in the kitchen and made dinner. I sat at the kitchen table, listening for Maisie's footsteps. When the floor creaked earlier, I knew she was no longer unconscious. Her soft sobs were audible for an hour after we left Miles' room, but now it was silent. How long would the tranquilizer keep her weak? Clara brought her a glass of water while she was crying. I refused to pour myself a drink since I brought Maisie home. If this was going to work, I needed to be sharp and have a clear mind.

The sun was starting to set when Miles came inside. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up past his elbows, and sweat shadowed through the material. Dirt was splattered across his pants. He would head straight to his room to change his clothes before dinner. That was his usual routine. I needed to tell him about this gift before he saw Maisie on his bed. Clara was chewing on her lip and refused to look at him as he walked across the kitchen.

"Miles," I said.

He stopped. His movements were quick as he spun to look at us. Clara clutched the straps of her apron and let out a shaky breath. He raised a brow when he saw Clara's nervousness.

"I need to talk to you," I said.

"Can this wait?" he asked.

"No," I said. "Sit down."

"I'm going to change first."

"No. We need to talk first."

"I'll be fast."

Miles stepped forward and headed for the stairs. Clara spun around. She gripped the counter and violently shook her head. Her eyes were wide with fear.

"No!" she shouted. "Miles, you need to talk to your Father first."

Miles stopped and furrowed his brows. I lifted my chin to motion to his chair at the table.

"Sit down," I said.

"What is going on?" Miles asked.

"Sit down, and I will let you know."

Miles sighed and rolled his eyes. He sat in his seat and leaned forward with his elbows on the table. His face was stern. Pushing back his broad shoulders was an attempt for him to appear intimidating. I had noticed him doing it since he was a child at church when the other children teased him.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Your mother and I have always wanted you to get married," I said. "I met your mother when I was your age. Twenty is the perfect time for you to start your own family."

"Where is this coming from?" he asked. "Are you trying to tell me I need to go out and find a wife?"

"No." I shook my head. "I found you the perfect girl already. Not only is she beautiful, but her priorities are in the right spot. She is someone who values family. She will be a great wife and an amazing mother to your children."

"Are you drunk again? What are you talking about?"

"She's upstairs!" Clara blurted out.

Miles looked over his shoulder with a quizzical look. Clara squeezed her eyes shut as she braced herself against the counter. I pursed my lips and shook my head. Clara was never capable of keeping calm. Miles slowly turned back around to face me. The confusion did not leave his face.

"A girl is upstairs?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. "She is up in your room."

"How did you convince a girl to come to this farm? Where did you even find this person?"

"She's scared right now, but you will show her she is part of this family." I ignored his second question. "She will need your help adjusting. This is all new to her."

"Has the whiskey burned a hole in your brain? That makes no sense."

An ache spread across my jaw. My teeth were gritting together so hard that I was surprised they did not shatter. I was trying to protect this family. I was going out of my way for this family. Miles would have been isolated and lonely for the rest of his life if I did not bring him Maisie. He had zero appreciation for what I was doing.

"Do not speak to me that way," I said.

"I don't want some girl who is here against her will," he said.

"You would rather spend your life alone?" I raised my voice. "That is what will happen. This family is going to end with you if you're not married. After your Mom and I pass, you'll be alone on this farm. You will be completely isolated. None of the families around us have forgiven you for what happened."

"I did not burn down the church."

"None of them believe you."

The silence was heavy in the room. Clara and I never mentioned the incident around him. We pretended that it had never happened to keep him from being upset. Miles' expression was unreadable. It was difficult to know what was going through his brain. I did not break eye contact as he stared in my direction.

"There is a random girl in my room?" he asked.

"Not just a girl," I said. "She is going to be your wife."

Miles rolled his eyes as he pushed himself to stand. A small smile crept across my lips. He was finally seeing what I was trying to do. I was doing all this to make him happy and help him have his family. Clara and I always wanted to have grandchildren, and the dream ended when Emily died. Bram may have betrayed this family, but we would stay together closer than ever.

"What am I supposed to do with this girl?" Miles asked.

"Let her know she is safe and loved here," I said. "She may have difficulty realizing this is where she belongs, but once she does, she will be so happy."

"Her name is Maisie," Clara said. She turned back around, but I could see her lips lifting into a smile. "Dinner is almost ready. She'll probably be hungry."

"What if she cries?" Miles asked.

"You have seen girls cry before," I said. "You will manage."

Miles took a few steps toward the staircase before he stopped and turned.

"What if she screams?" he asked.

"Don't let her disrespect you," I said. "She'll be scared, but she needs to know to be polite."

Miles took one more step forward before he turned to face me again.

"She's not going to hit me, is she?" he asked.

"You are twice the size of her," I said. "She is not going to hurt you."

Miles ran his fingers through his hair before walking again. When he was at the bottom of the stairs, he turned again. He was trying to stall going to his room. His ridiculous questions would end once he met her.

"I don't want to hear it," I said. "Get upstairs."

Clara and I watched as he went up to his room. Clara finished making dinner, and I could not stop myself from smiling. I was saving this family.