Chapter Eight: MAISIE POV

My escape was so close. If I had been a little faster, I could have gotten onto the roof and crawled down. I had no clue where to run to, but I would find someone eventually. Being trapped in this house for the rest of my life was not an option.

My cheek stung from Joseph's slap. The smell of whiskey had lingered on Joseph's breath and burned my nose. Miles had his arms around me, but I did not want to fight against his grip. Joseph was not afraid to hit me. What would Miles do if he was angry? He was so much larger than his father. Would he murder me?

I would not be able to beat them in strength. If I wanted to get out of here, I would have to outsmart this family. They needed to trust me and lower their guard. They needed to think I liked being here, but I had to be careful to ensure I was not too obvious.

Joseph left Miles and I standing in the hallway. Miles did not let go of my body. I was pressed against his chest, and I could feel his heartbeat against my back. I listened to him breathing, but I did not say a word. Miles dragged his hand up my arm. His rough fingers ran up my neck until he cupped the side of my face. He was delicate as he touched my stinging cheek. Was it red from Joseph's hit?

"You alright?" he asked.

"Yes," I said.

Miles continued to touch my cheek. He curled his fingers so that the back of his knuckles brushed against my skin. I wanted to push him away but had to allow him to do this. He needed to think I liked being here. How far would he go? What was I going to have to do?

"Your skin is soft," he said.

How many girls had he been close to? Had he touched a girl before? Was that why Joseph wanted to kidnap a wife?

"Thank you," I said.

I held my breath as his fingers grazed down my cheek and to my neck. His hand wrapped around my throat and held me against his chest. His grip was not tight. He was not trying to cut off my airway, but I did not know his intentions. The window at the end of the hall was still open. My escape was in view, but I could not go for it.

I jumped when Miles brought his lips down onto my shoulder. My breath caught in my throat, and I balled my fists to stop myself from pushing him away. The dress was a barrier between my skin and his lips. My body tensed when he kissed my shoulder again, but his lips were even closer to my neck. He barely lifted his head before kissing my neck. The collar of the dress was high, but the corner of his mouth was hot against my flesh. My stomach twisted into a knot as I was hit with a wave of nausea.

"Dinner is waiting downstairs," Miles said.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me down the hall. I wanted to avoid appearing like I was fighting, but I struggled to keep up with his wide strides. Miles did not let go of me until we reached the bottom of the stairs. I crossed my arms over my chest. A chill ran up my spine, but I also did not want Miles to grab me again. I followed him through the kitchen and into the dining room. The back door caught my eye, and I took a mental note.

Joseph and Clara were sitting on one side of the table. Miles did not look at me as he sat on the opposite side of the table. I stood in the doorway as I cradled my cheek in my hand. Clara gave me a soft smile. Did she know what happened upstairs? Was she taken like me?

"Sit down, Maisie," Joseph said.

Miles grabbed the back of the chair beside him and pulled it out. I followed their order and sat. They passed the food around. I shook my head when Miles handed me the platter. My stomach was still in a tight knot.

"You don't like chicken?" Miles asked.

"I am not hungry," I said.

"You need to eat," Joseph said.