Chapter Ten: MAISIE POV

Last night was a failure.

I was so close to escaping the house when Joseph caught me. When I heard his voice, the door was within reach. Afterward, I only managed to fall into pockets of sleep, and I would wake when Miles changed positions. I rolled on my side to watch him as he slept. The awkward conversation with Joseph in the living room was repeating in my mind.

My family had many issues. As a little girl, I dreamed about having a family full of love. My parents never liked each other and struggled to show their children any affection. After that terrible night, my siblings and I never spoke to each other again. They were all older and got married, so they left to have a family. A family of their own.

When my grandmother was sick, she often told me if I wanted a loving family, I would have to make my own. She had dreams of me getting married. I never told her about how I was making money because it would destroy her heart.

Was Miles my key to a happy family?

I shook my head, reminding myself that Joseph had kidnapped me from the tavern. My family was terrible; however, I did not want this family. They were deranged. Forcing a woman to be a wife to your son was not normal behavior. Was Joseph trying to break down my mind with everything he said, or did he actually believe what he told me?

My hand ran across my stomach. I had always wanted children. It was part of my dream since my older sister gave me her baby doll when I was young. Having a tiny baby in my arms was always a fantasy, but I had accepted it would never happen.

Would I have Miles' baby? If I were stuck here long enough, it would eventually happen.

Miles' alarm clock went off while it was still dark outside. I sat up and clutched the blankets to my chest as I watched him move around the room. In the moonlight, I watched him change his clothes. When he turned, he paused. I could not see his face, but it seemed like he had forgotten that I was lying next to him all night. He said nothing as he left the bedroom. I looked for the dress I left crumpled on the floor, but he returned with more clothes. He dropped them on the foot of the bed.

I looked at him to see him staring at me with his arms crossed over his chest. He did not move, so I changed clothes as he watched. He did not turn on the oil lamp until after, so I doubt he saw much of my body as I changed into the dress. I ran my fingers through my hair but winced when my fingers were caught in the many knots. Miles opened his nightstand and pulled out something. He said nothing as he handed me a comb.

"Does this work?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Thank you."

Staring in his mirror, I combed the knots out of my blonde hair. The light flickered from the lamp. Miles did not move from his spot but watched me in the reflection. I glanced down to see the collection of pins that were in my hair the night I met Joseph. I twisted my hair into braids and pinned it back. There were the hushed voices of Joseph and Clara as they walked down the hallway. Was it routine for this family to wake so early in the morning?

Miles said nothing. I did not turn around, but his expression remained unreadable in the reflection. What went on in this man's mind? I needed to maintain my act and make him believe I liked being in this house. He slept solidly throughout the night. No suspicious thoughts kept him awake, making my escape almost possible.

I turned and leaned against the dresser. My fake smile caused him to raise a brow.

"How did you sleep?" I asked.

Miles stepped forward. My fingers curled into the dresser's edge so hard that my knuckles ached. I kept my chin held high and maintained my smile. Miles reached forward and placed his hands on the dresser next to mine. He leaned in, trapping me with his body. Was he trying to intimidate me? I refused to crumple. I kept my smile while maintaining eye contact.