Chapter 30 (Steven) (Edited)

***** Edited by krisgee *****

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 30 (Steven)

            It was over.  After years of running and hiding, it was finally over.  With my mate nestled safely in my arms I took one final look at the Alpha that had ruthlessly hunted my family for most of my life and spat on his dead body. 

            “I hope you rot in hell you bastard,” I sneered while staring down at his lifeless wolf form.

            Turning around I walked towards the bed and jerked loose a sheet.  Using the sheet I carefully covered my blue eyed beauty that fought beside me so fiercely.  I was so proud of her.  She was nothing short of an angel to me.  I took one last look at the fallen Alpha and a low growl reverberated in my chest.  It’s was over.  Carrying my precious bundle I headed for the door without another look back. 

            The sounds of battle had quieted and when I emerged into the darkness I was instantly met by Zach and the other members of the pack.  Most were still in there wolf forms with the exception of Zach and his two cousins Jake and Leon.  They had piled the dead wolf bodies in the center of the yard to be burned.

            “Is it done?” Zach asked as he walked towards me.

            I gave him a sharp nod of my head and squeezed my mate a little tighter to me.  The mere thought of what they planned to do to her made my blood boil.  Fighting the blood lust was becoming an incessant struggle.  The only thing that kept me calm was the tiny bundle pressed against my heart.  Her warm breath fanning over my bare skin grounded me.

            Zach looked down at his twin and stroked the bruise on her cheek.

            “Is she okay?” he asked softly.  There was nothing but concern for his sister displayed on his face.

            Gruffly, I answered him.  “Yeah man.  She’s a little bruised and banged up but considering everything that could have happened she’s safe.”

            We both stepped out of the way as Jake and Leon brought the Alpha’s body out of the old cabin and tossed it onto the pile with the other dogs.  Jake pulled out a lighter and randomly walked around igniting different areas of the dead.  Within seconds flames danced through the night as I watched my nightmares start to go up in smoke.

            “You know what this means, don’t you?” Zach said knowingly from beside me.  For several minutes we had both remained quiet watching the flames flicker wildly in front of us.

            Not sure exactly what he was talking about I turned in his direction and furrowed my brow.  “What does what mean?” I asked him cautiously.

            He gave a haughty chuckle.  “You do realize that you’re an Alpha now, don’t you?”

            “Holy shit,” I mumbled to myself.  I hadn’t even thought about that.  But he’s right.  I glanced down at the sleeping bundle in my arms and I was at a total loss of words.  I understood the traditional laws of our ancestors and I knew what was going to be expected of me, but I wasn’t sure of what exactly I how I was going to do it.

            There was no way possible for me to remain an Alpha and still live here with my mate.  Would she come with me?  Shaking my head, I already knew the answer to that.  Her family would never approve and I can’t see her leaving them anyway.  There was no way that I was going to live anywhere without my mate.  She is my life, my world.  I refused to leave her behind.