Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Nova stood out front of the restaurant, Le Papillon with sweaty, shaking hands.

You can do this, just walk in and be yourself.

With that small pep talk under wraps, she walked into Le Papillon with her head held high and posture straight, right to the front podium. A tall blonde woman, with cold dark brown eyes, stood rigid in a long-sleeved black dress, typing furiously on an iPad. She looked to be the same age as herself, but something about her made her seem as dry and brittle as a 90-year-old woman.

"Hi." She said, giving the woman an awkward wave.

"Do you have a reservation?" The lady asked, looking Nova up and down with a disapproving eye.

Nova looked down with a frown. She could have sworn that she was wearing the appropriate attire for the interview. She had on a formal black dress that stopped just short of her knees, with three quarter length sleeves, her mothers gold locket and her knock-off Lita Campbell boots. Albeit her clothes were all cheap and second hand, but she still thought they looked nice.

"Um, no." She said, looking at her name tag. "Grace, I'm here for the interview, for the classical entertainment." She said, with a small nervous smile.

"Oh!" Grace exclaimed. "Right this way then." She said, with a sweep of her hand that was obviously practiced towards the back.

Nova followed her through the black, white and red restaurant, glancing at the various classy people. She could tell this was a very upscale restaurant, she wasn't sure if she was going to fit in here.

Beautiful music being played attracted her attention to a raised platform in the middle of the room. On top of the platform was a shiny white piano, the person playing - a male -was dressed in a sleek black suit, and was nodding his head along to the beat of the tune. The man leaned over sensing her eyes on him and to her astonishment it was the guy she had met from the store, Maddox!

He sent her a playful wink and made this silly face at her, that somehow did wonders to calm her nerves. She smiled back at him and waved a little only to stop when she saw a red-faced Grace glaring at her. Her fury was quickly masked by a blank expression and she turned and walked through a heavy white door, without holding it, leaving Nova to scramble behind her.

They reached a pair of blank double black doors and Grace stopped. She knocked on the big scary doors and waited a few seconds, before walking straight in. The office was a reflection of the restaurant with its black, white and red interior. A tall, broad-shouldered, dark caramel skinned man sat behind a large and imposing black desk, reading some papers. The door slamming shut behind Nova caused her to jump forward a little in fright. She looked behind her and saw that Grace had left, even though the woman was as stiff and unfeeling as a brick, it had still brought a level of comfort to her.

"Please sit." A deep voice said, causing Nova to jump again.

She really needed to calm her nerves.

She thought as she hastily took her seat.

She wished, that she could say that the man in front of her was warm and welcoming, but that would be a lie. His dark brown eyes bore into her like she had just murdered his favorite pet, and the way he was resting his chin on his hands as he studied her made her feel on edge. She looked at his black nameplate that read, Torrez.

"I'm Nova Akecheta." She said, holding out her hand to shake.

Antonio Torrez stared at the brown-skinned girl's hand for a moment before asking the most bizarre question she had ever heard in her life.

"Do you know about the wolves?" He asked, watching her face intently.

"What?!" Nova choked on her words unprepared for the question. She didn't know that there would be a test, let alone one about wolves!

Antonio looked at her with a knowing smile and then shook her outstretched hand.

"You can leave." He said, with a dismissive wave of his hand, not even looking at her as he went back to his files. She sat there stunned before abruptly standing up and leaving the office more confused than ever.

Did she get the job?

Hello!

The third chapter is up! The fourth one will follow tonight as an apology for my lack of update last week, I had no WiFi smh.

Do we like this new place of work?

I'm Out!

NEXT UPDATE: 3/15/16

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

SHARE