Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Maddox had hoped that with the steady downpour of rain the ride back to his step-dads house would have taken a lot longer than it did. However, it took him, roughly, 25 minutes to see the towering fences of the gated community. On, the outside, the gates looked like it was meant to keep the highfalutin community members safe from the vicious and poor outsiders, but in actuality, the gates were meant to keep the esteemed beast in. Yes, this was a community of wolves, born and raised. This was what the more evolved species of werewolves called pack land now, a lavish community of rich green grass, community centers, in-ground swimming pools and a thick expanse of woods and foliage that made up the rest of the 15,000 acres.

He pulled up to the gate flashing the human security guard, who was basically there for show, his ID and waited for him to open the gates. As he rolled down the lane of large houses his nerves grew even tenser. There was no one activity in the community. Even though it was relatively late at night and pitch black a werewolf community never sleeps. There was always something, or someone out, the lights in some house were on, the music was blaring or wolves were howling. Tonight, however, it was silent and that meant only one thing: the alpha was angry tonight. 

Which was why he was not surprised to see the extra cars parked out front his step-dads house when he pulled up. He got out of his car and walked purposefully slow to the front door, just to irk anyone that was in the house. It worked because before he could even attempt to retrieve his keys the door was ripped open and he was pulled inside the house by his shirt collar. The unknown figure slammed him against the now closed front, getting directly into his face. He stared defiantly at the cold blue eyes of Alder Ainsworth, Lily's father, refusing to submit, making him even angrier.

"Did you plan this?!" The gruff voice of Alder Ainsworth screamed in his face. He only stared at him with a purposefully blank expression and watched an ugly sneer crawl across his face. Alder pulled him back and then slammed him against the door, harder this time. "Did you?!" He yelled, spittle flying directly into his face.

"Yes, because I know the exact science of soul bonding and which girl would attract him, and his wolf's, spirit more so than Lily and decided to bring that girl to his engagement party just to piss you all off." He said dryly. "Sorry, but your precious Alpha isn't worth the time."

You see, the natural side of the werewolf was not the only thing that had evolved. Yes, they were no longer slaves to the moon and could change at will, although the moon did still affect them, they were no longer those hideous man-wolf hybrid beings but had grown more so to resemble a wolf, even though they still weren't exactly like a normal wolf they were no longer big and ugly, and they no longer lived in earthen dens in the middle of the woods but in lavish communities, their very spirits, the makeup of their souls, had changed as well. There was no longer one destined individual for each person, there were now multiple choices that worked, basically, on a percent system. Meaning, that if you can meet a dozen people, and feel a 10% connection with them all, but that 13th person that you meet could be an 80% match. It was sort of like online dating, but with your spirits. 

No one knows for certain why our spirits changed, maybe it was because our species was dwindling because everyone was trying to find one specific person out of 5000, or maybe because our souls were bored. All that they know is that there were multiple people for you now out there and there has never been a 100% match in millennia.

"Maddox!" Aspen gasped, as she came around the corner to see her only child held against a door by his throat. Running to the front of the small group that had gathered in her foyer she tried to pry Alders hands off of her son -that had dangerously started to squeeze his neck- when he violently pushed her off. She fell into a table, knocking all of its contents onto the floor including a vase that shattered on impact. Before, he could even think about reacting Alder was against the opposite wall, held roughly by none other than Antonio Torres.