Chapter 12

Chapter 12

On a brisk Saturday afternoon at twelve O'clock, sharp Anderson found himself standing on the front porch of the Ainsworth Manor. The stately old English style manor resided on its own little slice of paradise, complete with 20 acres of lush deep green land. The land housed an Olympic sized in-ground swimming pool, a stable for Lily's competition horses, tennis courts and a driving range. Not to mention various trails throughout a small section of a wooded area near the back of the property. 

The manor was set far back from the road thanks to a long smoothly paved driveway lined with pale pink cherry blossom trees that were beginning to shed their petals. Their house screamed wealth and power, something that the Ainsworth family received in around the late 1800s, which Alder Ainsworth built on through the oil industry and various shady deals that he denies heavily.

He pressed the tiny glowing doorbell and stepped back to wait patiently for one of the maids to open the door. The heavy door was dragged open slowly and a young accented voice bid him welcome and led him into the foyer well-decorated marble foyer. The young wide-eyed, dark-skinned, curly-haired maid curtsied to him awkwardly as she timidly offered to take his coat. He declined and she scurried off before he could get a real word in.

Sighing he sat on a marble bench and watched as two more timid maids ran past him and he shook his head. This was definitely Veranda Ainsworth's doing. While her husband was cruel on the business side, she was just evil which was reflected in her household staff which constantly changed by the month. All of her maids either quit and left the house in anger, or were fired and left the house in tears. In fact, she had begun to hire and fire the staff so fast that instead of hiring trained and older professionals she was beginning to have school-aged, inexperienced, foreign staff who were suspiciously apprehensive and silent. No doubt these people were being "supplied" by Alder. 

Feeling parched he stood and grabbed a glass off of a wooden table filling it with water. Suddenly the sound of delicate heels tapping on the floor as they descended marble stairs caught his attention. He rushed quickly to the stairs to see his breathtaking girlfriend glide down the stairs in a slow deliberate gait. She met his eyes and smiled delicately at him as she donned diamond chandelier earrings to match her necklace, a gift that he had given her one year ago. She wore a white dress covered in a large red rose print and nude pumps, her hair styled in a complicated up-do. Just the sight of her brought the brightest smile to his face.

The brightest? He silently questioned himself. Despite himself, he couldn't help but recall yesterday evening when he sat and conversed with a certain golden brown beauty.

A pair of manicured fingers snapping in front of his face drew his attention back to Lily, who was currently frowning down at him. He looked down to see that Lily was standing on the third step of the grand staircase so that she was almost a head taller than him. This bothered him and the inner alpha in him but he pushed it down, knowing that Lily would throw a fit if she felt like she wasn't in charge and he didn't have the energy for that right now.

He grabbed her hand that she had been using to snap in his face and kissed it lightly before guiding her to the crook of his arm.

"Good morning, my love. You look radiant as always." He complimented her softly, fearing that his voice would echo in the room the way the Ainsworth's hated. She hummed in response and led them to the door walking out first and leaving him with her purse.

"Anderson where is the limo?" She asked, sweetly and he groaned inside. He knew that tone well. 

"I thought that maybe you would like to ride in my car." He mumbled, looking at his pristine Audi A8. 

"Well, you thought wrong." She mocked him as her eyes began to grow shiny with tears. "It's like you don't even know me."

Feeling even more parched than before he attempted to drink the water he still held in his hand when it was roughly smacked out of his hand and sent crashing to the floor where it shattered.

"All you can do is drink your stupid water?! You're so selfish!" She snapped, stepping back and grabbing her heart as if she was stabbed. " I don't know why I keep pouring my heart and soul into you when all you do is rip it up and throw it back into my face."

"Babe, please," He pled, walking towards her swiftly as she turned her back on him and got into the backseat of his car, closing the door right in his face, as she turned to look out of the opposite window.

He got into the car quietly and turned on the radio before driving off slowly; only for Lily to reach up and slam the radio off violently and fall back into her seat, Prada shades covering her eyes. Today was going to be a wonderful day.

<8>

Anderson sighed as he looked at Lily converse with his mother, Elisha,  gaily holding onto his arm and stroking it as she spoke fondly of him to anyone that would listen. They were currently at the Fantasy Country Club where they were hosting a pack brunch and right now he could not wait to leave. He was upset and didn't feel like entertaining the packs' socialites but was forced to remain thanks to the iron like grip Lily had on him. The reason he was upset was because this was supposed to be a public event for the Pack, open to all who could come. He had specifically told her to leave the invite list public, but instead he was informed when he arrived that it was invite only. The "only" being the Pack members at the top of the social and wealth ladder.

After, finally freeing himself from her grip he made his way towards the snack table and was currently eating a baby carrot when a scent he had familiarized himself with all too well wafted into his nose. Following the trail, his eyes landed on a mound of curly hair dressed in a gorgeous white dress. She was beautiful, in every single way, shape, and form. He had to speak to her even if just to say "hi". And that was just what he did as he walked up to her and tapped Nova on the shoulder. 

She spun around, waving her fruity scent in the air, and her eyes grew wide in shock and then she instantly grew bashful, crossing her heel clad feet and smiling at him softly.

"Hi,"

<8>

How do we feel about the Ainworth's so far?