Chapter 19

Chapter 18

Maddox wondered what Nova was doing. She had taken his car a few hours ago but still hadn't contacted him like she said she would do to let him know she got there safely. She had told him that she was going to pick up a "friend" but had conveniently left out who said "friend" was. He stood at the entrance to the kitchens at Le Papillon lost in thought as someone brushed past him.

Grace had watched the way Maddow had hugged Nova goodbye, pulling her tight into his warm embrace, and stood by watching jealousy. It had been hours now and he still looked like a love-struck puppy. She wished that he would feel at least 1/8 of the feelings he felt for Nova, for herself. She watched his unseeing eyes and even bumped into him but he still was unresponsive.

"Maddox!" She hissed at him, feeling hurt and channeling those feelings into aggression.

"Hey." He said, barely looking back at her as he turned and walked away towards the changing room. 

She huffed as she called someone over to take her spot and followed behind Maddox in anger. His set was next, and as the current floor manager she needed him focused, is what she told herself.

Maybe she was feeling over emotional today or maybe it was for selfish reasons but she was tired of watching Maddox pine after a girl who thought of him as a friend. Which was kind of hypocritical since she was doing the same thing. She stormed into the changing room and found him sitting in the spinning chair in front of the mirror.

"Maddox!" She yelled, making him jump and almost fall out of the chair.

"Sheesh, Grace can you tone it down some. Unless you want all of China to hear you if you do you're succeeding." He snapped at her.

"Well, I'm sorry if I have to scream to get your attention off of Nova you whimpering pup!" She said bitterly, turning to walk away in frustration. A hand stopped her movements and jerked her back to face Maddox.

"What is wrong with you?! And what is this about Nova?! You're not making any sense Gracie, tell me what's wrong." He pleaded using her old nickname, not understanding.

"Don't call me that!" She yelled at him, her eyes beginning to well up. He called her Gracie back when they were in Middle and High school when they had been great friends, when they had been more, until senior year when he began to drift away from her and towards college girls and parties. She had done all she could but in the end, boring plain Jane Grace had been replaced y exciting older girls. Now all they did was fight when they were in each others presence.

"Why?! Why can't I call my friend by her nickname?! Or at least I thought you were my friend!" He yelled at her, fury blazing in his eyes.

"I thought you were my friend, I thought you were my best friend! Until you left me for girls with bigger boobs and shorter skirts!" She yelled, infuriated at him.

"Really?! Because trust me that's not how I remember it!"

<8>

"Gracie I got you a rose," Maddox said, feeling excited to speak to the girl he had liked since elementary school. He was finally going to ask her out today, the first day of senior year. He wasn't going to wait around for her to get stolen from him like last year when she dated that jerk David Pollensky.