Chapter 18

Chapter 17

Nova watched Anderson in amazement as it seemed that after only 20 minutes of driving he had seemed to come out of his drunken coma mostly. He was already more alert and could speak now with only a slight slur to his words. He even had the ability to be embarrassed as she recounted the story of how they got to this point.

To cover for his embarrassment he began to tell stories of the pranks he and his friends pulled in their youth when he was "cool". She was shocked to say the least to hear about his midnight pond swims, trespassing, slight marijuana use and illegal drinking that had taken place in his earlier years and eventually she was laughing so hard she could barely keep the car straight.

"So what happened?" She asked, once her laughter had settled and the car was righted.

"What do you mean?" He asked, feigning dumb, he already knew what she was asking. How had his personality taken such a sharp turn from his youth?

"I mean, you're so different now. I know that people grow up and everything but...I don't know ignore me that was rude." She quickly backtracked, realizing that she probably sounded stupid.

"No I have changed drastically...it's okay to say it. I guess, I just became the person the people around me wanted me to be. I stopped thinking 'what would I do' and started thinking 'what would they want me to do'. I think it was good though, I was too childish and immature. I didn't take much serious even though I should've. I was just too...much." He sighed, running his hands over his face and turning towards her. "It was all for the best, trust me. They just wanted me better, she wants me to be my best."

"She?"

"Yeah, Lily, she really helped me to see the 'error of my ways' I guess." He laughed, turning away from her slightly as his eyes began to sting, he just wanted to go home and sleep for days.

Nova's hands began to shake as she listened to Anderson's story. It sounded strangely close to hers, the phrases "it was all for the best" and "she wants me to be my best" were familiar sentences that came from her father's lips as he beat her brother, her mom and herself.

"I'm teaching you how to be a man!" He would yell at her brother, as he whipped him with his belt while Nigel screamed on the ground.

Her mind began to travel deeper into her thoughts when she screamed, slamming on the breaks, as a car viciously cut her off from a side road and sped off in front of her without even a hint of apology. Anderson cursed as he put his hands out to catch himself on the dashboard before yelling more curses at the driver out the window. She shushed him and looked back at Neil to see him laughing and clapping his hands at Anderson's anger.

"See he thinks it's funny." Anderson laughed, grabbing Neil's outstretched hand.

Nova rolled her eyes and started driving again. Boys.

As they pulled up into her empty driveway she looked around for any signs of Nigel, confused as to why he wasn't back yet. She got out of the car and grabbed Neil who screamed and tried to stretch towards the ground in frustration. Rolling her eyes she tried to walk with his withering form but found it impossible with the other things in her hand.

"I got him," Anderson said, grabbing him from her arms and setting him on the ground. She watched as Neil smiled at Anderson and grabbed his hand as he tried to walk stumbled to the door.

She unlocked the door to the house and threw her stuff down on the couch.

"We'll have to wait here until Nigel gets back with the car so I can drive you to your house." She mumbled falling down on the couch in exhaustion.