Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Friday evening Nova walked into a cozy little Cafe, one she remembered noticing the other day on her jog, with sweaty clothes and a peacefully napping Neal in a stroller. She casually glanced around, taking int the vibe of the room, and felt like this could definitely become a regular stop on her morning and evening jogs. Although she would have to either leave earlier or run faster in the evenings to make it back home before dark.  Glancing at the menu she saw a french vanilla hot chocolate on the menu that she had to try and ordered an additional cheese danish to go with it.

While she waited for her food to be ready she picked the last table open in the cafe to sit at before any of the other fast-paced individuals could claim it. Hearing her name called she turned to see the barista holding her drink and pastry and hastily walked towards it leaving her jacket on the back of the chair.

Anderson stepped out of the bathroom rubbing his face, exhausted. He was so tired of dealing with Lily, his family, work, and just life in general. He sat back down at his table staring out of the window tiredly when he noticed a bright pink jacket resting on the back of the chair across from him. Looking around for a possible owner he suddenly stopped when he caught a whiff of the scent attached to the jacket. It was the scent of his violinist!

"Oh, was this your table?" Asked a soft lilting voice, so unlike the commanding and sometimes harsh voice of his Lily that it almost lulled him into a dangerous daydream. Recollecting himself he looked up into the expressive amber eyes of Nova Akecheta and couldn't help himself but to smile, however small and insignificant it was, at her.

"Yes, but I was just leaving." He said, even though he made no attempt at leaving.

"No you don't have to go, I can find another table." She argued, beginning to gather her things into her arms.

"Wait, don't leave!" He exclaimed, making her jump in shock. "Sorry," He mumbled sheepishly, "I'll just be leaving." And he walked away towards the exit, feeling as though if he walked out of that door he would be incomplete for the rest of his life. He wanted to look back, but he was afraid that he would see a curly haired golden-eyed woman sitting at a table and sipping on her hot drink without a care in the world, completely unaffected by his absence. As he rested his hand on the exit sign he paused, looking up towards the heavens seeking the strength to open the door he seemed to lack.

She watched as he strode towards the door, seeming as confident and suave as ever and her chest hurt. Was he not as affected by her as she was him? Because right now she felt as if letting him walk out of that door would be the biggest life-changing mistake she would ever make in her existence and would come to regret it every hour of every day. After all, in the end, don't you regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did. However her heart almost stopped when his hand touched the door and she knew then that it was over, he was gone it was too late. 

However, by the grace of God, the man paused, looking at the ceiling as if for answers. Whatever it was for it gave her enough time to jump to her feet and call out to him, he froze and then turned slowly towards her. Suddenly feeling embarrassed she sat in her seat quickly and shyly gestured to the seat across from him, that being the only communicative action she possessed at the moment. To her astonishment, an almost relieved look flashed through his eyes before he slowly, almost hesitantly, walked towards her taking the seat she offered a shy smile on his lips as he did.

++++

What started off as small talk between two awkward strangers quickly turned to easy banter between two comfortable acquaintances. They sat for hours talking about absolutely everything and absolutely nothing, from global warming to chocolate versus vanilla. Patrons came and went and the sun started to set but the couple continued to stare into each other's eyes and smile at every chance they could. As the conversation began to die down, Neil chose that moment to make himself known, wailing at the top of his lungs.

"Looks like someones hungry." Nova cooed, groaning as she picked up the grumpy child. At just nine months the kid was getting heavier and taller than she could bear and was already trying to eat them out of house and home. She pulled out a couple of his snacks and he instantly quieted and grabbed one out of her hand.

"Is he yours?" Anderson asked, deciding to feign ignorance and not appear to be a stalker that already knew personal details about her life.

"No, he's my little brother." She said, pouring a few more crackers onto a napkin but the kid had already lost interest, his eyes now firmly resting on Anderson. Suddenly he began to struggle tremendously to get to him even going as far as to throw a mini tantrum, throwing his head back and crying. "I'm so sorry, I don't know what's wrong with him, he hasn't acted like this before ever." She explained trying to calm him, unsuccessfully.

"I can hold him." He beckoned, holding out his hands. Hesitantly she reached the screaming boy across the table who practically dove into Anderson's arms. Instantly he quieted and snuggled into his suit jacket, content, and reached for his crackers again. 

Anderson pulled them across the table and watched as the kid looked him directly in the eye. Almost immediately he felt the bond you would feel to another wolf and watched as the child's eyes flashed gold, and felt his own flash gold in response, before settling back into their original color. Shocked he glanced at Nova to see if she had caught the interaction but she was busy packing up things. He glanced back down at the baby who was already staring up at him with interest as he gazed upon, no doubt, the first Alpha Were he's ever seen.

"I should probably leave, it's getting late, but this was fun Anderson we should definitely do this again sometime." She noted, taking the now peaceful baby from his arms.

"I, uh...I agree." He mumbled, still baffled at the change of events.

"Okay," She paused, an inner war raging in her mind about her next step when she grabbed a napkin and quickly scribbled something on it with her pink ink pen. "Well here's my number." She said, hastily sliding the napkin towards him and standing. "Um, bye." She said breathlessly and walked out of the door.

Feeling noticeably lighter.

<8>

Thanks for reading!

Team Anderson, or team Maddox?

"Stand firm, and you will win life." Luke 21:19