Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry that was humiliating!" Nova bemoaned, covering her face as she plopped down on a stone bench in the corner of the small courtyard. She could not believe that she had just done that, how can that have even happened? Like seriously what are the odds that a series of unfortunate events could happen in literally one minute? 

Quiet snickering brought her out of her stupor and she turned sharply to meet hazel eyes filled with mirth, at her expense, that quickly tried to look away since he was caught.

"This is not funny!" She hissed, shoving his arm lightly. 

"It's a little funny." He responded, shoving her back. "Did you see everyone's faces when you ruined their clothes? I've never heard women scream so loud, it sounded like they were being murdered." He chortled.

"Hey, you spill punch on me I would be doing the murdering." She mumbled, slouching down in her seat. 

They sat in silence listening to the sweet sounds of nature, with the underlining sounds of the privileged in chaos behind them. She looked straight, while he looked at her wondering what could be running through her gorgeous head. She glanced at him and then looked away, then glanced again and looked away again, before looking at him and staring straight into his eyes challenging him.

"Why are you staring at me?" She questioned, trying to keep a blank face to hide the nerves his smoldering gaze was giving her. "It's creepy, stop being creepy."

"What is your favorite color?" He asked, completely avoiding her question.

"Why?" She asked, allowing him to successfully deflect.

"Because I want to know." He said honestly. 

She thought about it for a moment before answering. "If I answer a question, than you have to answer one of my questions." She explained.

"Wait, then I want to change my question!" 

"Too late," She said smugly "my favorite color is Carolina Blue." She smiled adorably at him.

"So specific," He laughed.

"I was taught to be as precise as possible." She mumbled.

"Same for me."

"Why are you hiding out here with me? Don't you have a girlfriend waiting to be proposed too inside, who is most likely covered in punch and is in need of comfort."

"That was two questions so I get to ask another one too." He gloated.

"Only is you answer both questions precisely." She pointed out.

"Okay," He inhaled and then exhaled, seeming as though he was about to tell her the secret to life. "I am out here hiding with you because, you don't...expect anything from me. Because you don't know what to expect, because you don't know me at all, and I like that about you I guess. No expectations. And yes, I do have a girlfriend waiting to be proposed to covered in punch. But, for some reason the thought of it makes my insides twist."

"Maybe it's just cold feet, or butterflies?" She attempted to help dryly. Because that's what you're supposed to do right? Help people when they have problems even if you don't care, or want them to fail secretly?

"If it is it's more like frost bite and bee stings." He mumbled under his breath. "Anyway my turn," He hummed, turning to her.

"Oh dear," She groaned, wondering what extra deep dark question he was going to ask her.

"Sunrise or sunset?" He asked, sending her a disarming smile.

"Um, I'm more of a sunrise girl." She said shrugging, as if she was uninterested in the smooth oranges and reds of the waning sun.

"Really? I thought all girls loved the romantic sunset." He said, surprised.

"Its over rated to me." She said simply. 

"Me too," He said, pleasantly surprised that they appeared to have more in common the deeper he dug. It made him want to learn more.

The sound of music suddenly surrounding them alerted them that they were not alone or particularly well hidden either as they had to duck behind a bush to hide from a giggling couple. It seemed as though the pack had recovered from the earlier incident and had regained its spirit, they were still anticipating an engagement. The only problem was that the confidence the future Alpha had felt this morning about his future mate was no longer there. The vicious spirit of doubt had crept into his mind and it wore the face of a dark haired, amber eyed, sweet smelling beauty.

The sudden drops of water falling from the sky made Nova instantly try to protect her hair, unsuccessfully.

"Here," Anderson said, handing her his punch stained blazer. "It's ruined anyway."

"Gee, thanks, glad to know how much I'm worth." She joked, grabbing it and throwing it over her head as they got up and ran towards the exit to the courtyard. She stopped under the awning and he followed just as the sky opened up and began to pour, soaking half of him. 

Someone banging on a window drew Nova's attention to Maddox who was gesturing at his watch and mouthing 'let's go'.

"I have to go, I hope the next time I see you you won't be so conflicted." She smiled, side hugging him and then running into the building his blazer, that she had compared her worth too, over her head still. He wished he could have told her that she is more precious than rubies; nothing he desired could ever compare to her.

<8>

That last sentence was a bible scripture from Proverbs 31:10 and Proverbs 3:15 although in the last one its not talking about a woman but about wisdom;)

Also sorry for the wait! But I am back now.