Chapter 5

Chapter 5

2 Months Later

"It looks nice," Nigel said, stepping back and tucking his work gloves into his back pocket. He glanced around at their newly furnished living room, giving it an appreciative nod.

"You think so?" Nova asked, eagerly bouncing on the balls of her feet.

Over the last couple of weeks, Nova and Nigel had been steadily purchasing various necessities and décor for their house. So far they had purchased two twin beds, for both Nova and Nigel, a brand new crib, for Neil, a toaster oven, dining equipment, and two overstuffed leather couches, for their living room. All of their things had been gotten from the local second-hand shop, as they were in the process of saving up for a second car.

"That's what I said." He answered smartly, rolling his amber eyes, and dodging her well-aimed swing at his arm. He stumbled into the newly painted pastel green wall, shielding his face from Nova's advance.  

An angry cry from down the hall distracted him, dropping his arms he turned only to stumbled and crash into the wall at the force of Nova's surprise attack. He rubbed his nose, mumbling to himself, at the slight pain he felt. He caught a brief glance of curly hair go around the corner and enter Neil's room, closing the door to ward off any response attacks from himself.

Nigel smiled to himself, glancing down the hallway again at the closed door. He was happy that his little sister had still been able to retain some of her innocent childlike behavior, despite the environment that they were forced to grow up in. His smile suddenly turned sad, he wished that he had been able to retain the same innocence. However, he had experienced too much.

(%%)

Nova glanced at the clock, while rocking back and forth feeding Neil, and saw that time was ticking away and nearing her time to get ready for work. Once, Neil had finished his formula and was burped she put him back in his crib and covered him with a blanket. She then opened her royal blue closet and pulled out a pair of old black joggers, hashtag squad down the left side of the leg, a cropped white plain T-shirt and a pair of knock-off cream colored Uggs. She grabbed her tan pea coat off of her bed and stopped to admire the bright yellow, white and gray bedspread. 

Neil made a soft noise in protest at her departure and she turned to look at him. His eyes were wide and tearful, little fist scrunching up his baby blanket while he gnawed on his lip as if to stop himself from bawling.

"Shh." She cooed at him, reaching down and kissing his forehead. He grabbed a strand of her hair, sticking it into his mouth, as he looked at her with pleading eyes begging her not to go. "No baby, I'll be back soon." She said, taking her hair gently from his hands and standing up straight, walking over to her nightstand and switching on the blue glitter lava lamp. She flipped another switch, this time descending the room into darkness, and watched as the room lit up a bright blue with shapes spinning across the ceiling floor.

The soft whimpers coming from the crib suddenly decreased until awe struck coos were heard. She laughed to herself and exited the room, running her hands down the hallway wall, feeling the different textures.

"I'm leaving." She told Nigel, as she passed him on the way to the front door. He was in the kitchen making a sandwich but dropped it when she walked past and chased after her.

"Wait, Nova!" Nigel called, blocking the front door and leaning on it. "Drive safe and be careful." He said, giving her a firm hug.

"I will," Nova said, laughing as she tried to push past him. He stopped her and pushed her head up to look him in the eye.

"I'm serious Nova...be safe." He said sternly, making her attitude sober up.

"I'll be fine." She said, hugging him softly. As she tried to pool away he tightened his hold on her drawing her back in. He kissed the top of her head, drawing her in one more time, before releasing her. She kissed his cheek before walking out of the front door.