Riding Lesson 2/26/24

Sooo...

Catching Rez was rather irritating today. Basically, there's a gate in the back of the mares' pasture that leads to another pasture, and this is sometimes opened at nights or something. Well, it was still open when I got there, and all the horses were in the back... and the mares' pasture has a rather large hill... so getting him was just so incredibly fun.

See, but the really annoying thing? After I had led Rez to about the middle of the pasture, all the horses galloped over to the gate. It couldn't have been right before I'd walked all the way out there and halfway back, oh, no. Except, it was really funny because one of the mares, Bug, was just walking back behind the others... she's rather lazy.

I got Rez tacked up, and I was being intentionally a bit slower because I thought that the person before me still had her lesson going, but apparently she had just been in the arena for an extra fifteen minutes... (okay, that sounded wrong. I'm not mad or anything, she's one of my best friends and she didn't do anything. I just felt kinda stupid for not realizing the time-)

ANYWAYS, my instructor had me work on a lot of figure eights in the middle of the arena, and circles too. All at a sitting trot, which was fine because Rez went into his little Western pleasure jog and was pretty smooth. Then I cantered him in the same small circles, and he did a nice little lope (I'm an English rider but I ride horses that mainly do Western stuff, yes, yes, yes).

Then I was doing more figure eights, this time at the canter, with simple lead changes as I crossed the middle. This was a bit tricky, as I haven't really worked on simple lead changes on Rez that much, but eventually I had him going pretty nicely if I do say so myself. Afterwards, I did a little sitting trot on the rail with a loose rein, and then walked him around to cool him off (he's a bit of a chonky boy).

I untacked him, brought him a treat, then took him back out to his pasture. And that was it!