The Black Eye

You had started the day teary as you helped your best friend pack for the airport for the long journey home. 

Long, tight hugs and promises to call each other everyday followed a serious conversation. You promised your best friend that you wouldn't put walls up the minute it got hard. 

Now you were sitting in the friends and family section of the stadium. Barcelona had just won again and Lucy had put in a class performance. The game had been an easy win for Barcelona and you were now watching the players hug each other and make their way around shaking hands. You are watching Lucy on the pitch chat to the other players.

 As you watch Lucy you feel a presence sit down in the empty seat beside you. Its Alexia, who had been out injured. You ignore her and keep your eyes fixed on Lucy, until Alexia breaks the silence.

"I thought you were going home." She says.
You continue ignoring her.

"Hmm well, I'll be seeing at lot more of you then." She says.

You're looking at Lucy on the pitch as she turns and looks up at you in the stand. Her face immediately dropping from a smile. She's far away but you can you see her jaw tense and her hands ball into fists.

Alexia continues, "You look good in the Barca shirt but you have the wrong name on the back. You would look very sexy with Alexia on the back not Bronze."

 Alexia turns to the pitch to see who you're looking at and sees Lucy. She smirks in her direction. She then places her hand on your thigh and leans into your ear. "I always get what I want. Eventually."

She removes her hand then gets up to walk away but then stops and turns to you. "I'll send you one of my shirts." She then starts walking away while laughing in Lucys direction.

 Your eyes never leaving Lucy, watch her start jogging towards the tunnel. 

"Fuck." You say under your breath.

You and Lucy had agreed that you would see each other tomorrow afternoon at a cafe after training. But after seeing her face just now you were worried. The last thing you wanted was to cause any friction for the team. You get up to leave with your best friends advice of not putting up walls when it gets hard ringing in your ears. It's fine, you tell yourself. You'll talk to Lucy tomorrow, you just need to let her cool off.

You wake up late the next day. You roll over and open your phone. You have a text from Lucy.

Good morning my little Koala. Can't wait to see you later xx

You text back. 

Morning Lucy. Can't wait to see you too. Just woke up. I must have needed the sleep ;)

You open up Instagram and start scrolling. You stop when you come across a post from the fcb femini account. You swipe through the pictures from that mornings training then start reading through the comments. One catches your eye.

"Is it just me or does Alexia have a black eye?"

There are at least 10 comments all in agreement. Alexia has a black eye. You scroll through the pictures again until you see the one with Alexia in the background. It's an action shot of Salma. You zoom in past Salma at a slightly blurry Alexia. Sure enough it looks like she has a black eye.
You throw down your phone on your bed. You don't want to panic or worry but you don't want to be responsible for any animosity in the team. You get up and jump in the shower to calm down. You'll talk to Lucy when you see her.

 After your shower you check all your emails, get dressed, then get ready to meet Lucy at the cafe by the beach. As you walk up to the cafe Lucy is waiting outside with Narla on a leash. You reach them then bend down to pat Narla first.

"Hello little Narla." you sing to her.

"Oh I come second do I?" Lucy teases with a grin.

She reaches one arm around your waist and pulls you in for a kiss. You have been feeling tense but being in Lucy's strong warm embrace comforts you immediately.

  "And hello to you too I guess." You tease as Lucy releases you.

You walk into the cafe and order your drinks then set out to walk along a path by the beach. Lucy's holding Narlas lead with one hand and her drink in the other hand. You hold onto Lucy's bicep as you walk.

  "I missed you." Lucy says.

"You saw me yesterday." You say.

"Yes I saw you but it wasn't the same as this. As being WITH you." Lucy turns to kiss your forehead then continues walking.

"Have you been looking for an air bnb?" She asks. "Because I may have a solution."

"No not yet. I've been busy putting other things into place but I need to be out of the hotel soon. I can't stay there forever."

"Well one of our trainers has a Casita on his property that's sitting empty. It's not far from here and you can walk to the beach. He said you can stay there as long as you want."

You look up at Lucy. "That sounds amazing actually. Of course I'll pay my way."

 Lucy grins at you. "I'm liking this."

You hug into her closer as you walk. You don't ask her what she means because you are liking this too. However there's still something on your mind.

"Lucy?" 

"Hmm." She hums as she sips her drink.

 "Why does Alexia have a black eye?"

Lucy doesn't react. She continues walking and sipping her drink. 

"How do you know that?" She asks. She doesn't deny that she does have a black eye.

"You can see it on a post on the Instagram account." You reply.

Now Lucy looks at you. "They posted a picture of her today?"

"Yes."

Lucy scoffs. "Wow."

"You can see her in the background." You clarify. 

Lucy pulls you to sit down at a bench facing the ocean. Narla jumps up into her lap and you rub Narlas head. You look at Lucy to watch her reaction. 

"Please don't tell me you punched Alexia in the face."

Lucy takes another sip of her drink then after a few seconds says "Ok I won't then."

You can see her jaw flexing. She's tense.

"I'm not interested in Alexia. She can try all she likes. It's not her I want." You try to reassure her. 

Lucy finally turns to you. "She won't be trying anymore."

"Lucy, she's your captain. Plus you're a boxer. You could have really hurt her. I don't want to be the cause of any trouble on the team."

Lucy puts her arm around you and pulls you close. "I promise you, it's fine. Alexia is fine, the team is fine. We sort shit out then move on quickly. Please don't worry."

You sit back and stare at the ocean. You don't really have much choice but to trust Lucy on this. 

You lean into Lucy and she responds by kissing your head. "Stay at mine tonight?"

"Only if you cook for me." You reply.