Chapter Eight

Neve seeks out the Angel after lunch, finding him at the map table.

"Um, Cas? Do you have a minute?"

Neve's voice causes a smile to break out on the Angels face and he turns in his chair, finding her stood by the doorway.

"Neve. Of course."

He answers and she notes that Sam was just in the library, Jack in the kitchen and Dean in his room.

"Is it possible for us to speak outside? Just a stroll around the perimeter?"

She asks hopelessly and Castiel nods, much to her delight.

"That would be ok."

He says and she smiles, happily making her way to the stairs. Castiel follows behind her as they make their way out of the bunker.

As they begin their journey, Neve can't stop thinking about how comfortable she feels with Castiel.

"What's on your mind?"

The Angel asks her as they walk. Neve sucks in a huge breath, attempting to ready her thoughts.

"Your wings."

She says and Castiel frowns, confusion overtaking him.

"Dean mentioned that you once showed him your wings in an attempt to get him to believe you. Sam said he's never seen them. I saw them...this morning in the kitchen."

Her voice is quiet and weary as she speaks. Her eyes glance sideways at him. He is quiet and surprised.

"Does it have anything to do with what you're not telling me?"

She asks, stopping to gauge his reaction. He stops too and finally meets her eyes.

"Yes."

He says and Neve sighs heavily. She had hoped that this wouldn't be another thing to be kept from her. Finally, she nods.

"Fine. Save it."

She says, surprising Castiel immensely. She offers him a smile and a small peak into her thoughts.

"I hate not knowing things. It's not a good feeling, Cas. Yet, I know that I'm being kept in the dark in order to protect me. I don't know what's going on. I don't know anything. Yet, I trust you and my Brothers blindly. I'll continue to do so."

She explains, squeezing his shoulder. Castiel feels the familiar sparks, yet this time, so does Neve.

She blinks a few times, trying to clear her head of the strange, but comforting feeling.

She smiles awkwardly at Castiel before walking back to the bunker with him right behind her.

🪽

"And...voilà!"

Dean says triumphantly and Neve frowns, raising an eyebrow at him.

"You're trying to tell the qualified Chef how to cook a burger?"

She asks sarcastically and Dean then realises his mistake, but instead of backtracking, he slides the plate containing the burger over to his Sister.

"Just try it, would ya?"

He says, lifting his own burger into his hands. Neve sighs, deciding to humor him and lifts her burger up.

As she bites into the greasy finger food, her tastebuds erupt in flavour.

The slight saltiness and herbal taste of the meat hits her first. The fresh crunch of the lettuce and tomatoes hit her next. The creamy texture of the cheese follows before the sweetness of the bun finishes her bite.