Chapter 3 - Hybrid

When I wake up, Scott's already gone. As I sit up, he walks into the room, carrying a bundle of clothing.

"Morning sleepyhead," he says with a smile. "I brought some clothes for you to change into. Once you're done, you can come down and have some breakfast. It's almost done cooking."

"Thanks," I reply, slightly embarrassed. In the daylight, my little panic attack from the night before seems silly.

Once I'm done changing, I climb down the stairs from Scott's hobbit hole. I keep my eyes on my feet to make sure I don't trip and embarrass myself until I hear a hiss of pain. I look up and see Scott holding the side of his left hand and grimacing. I quickly rush over.

"It's nothing," he insists. "I wasn't paying attention and I burned myself, but I'll be fine."

His cheeks are pink. I wonder if it's from the heat of the fire, although the fire isn't particularly hot.

Despite Scott continually insisting that he's fine, I grab his hand and let my power flow into the burn, healing it in seconds. When I'm done I'm left with a slight headache. It's manageable, though, and definitely not as bad as when I healed Scott the day before.

The breakfast Scott made is delicious. He managed to find a chicken's nest in the woods surrounding the canyon and scrambled the eggs he found.

I'm washing our dishes in the river when Scott places a hand on my shoulder. "Look up," he says. When I do, I see what seems to be a bird at first. Upon closer inspection though, I realize it's a person with wings. A hybrid.

Moments later, the hybrid is landing beside us. Now I can see that it's a boy, a few years younger than me and Scott. He has dirty blond hair and mischievous blue eyes and he's wearing a bright red jumper.

"Who are you?" I ask. "My name's Grian," the boy says with a smile. "I'm Jimmy," I reply. "And I'm Scott," Scott says. "How long have you been watching us?"

"Pretty much since you started making your breakfast," Grian answers.

"And why were you watching us?" I can't help but be suspicious. What reason could a young avian have for spying on us?

"I was watching to see if you two were unnaturals," he says. "And now I know you are. Or I at least know Jimmy is, and I assume Scott's also an unnatural, otherwise you two wouldn't be helping each other."

"I'm an unnatural," Scott affirms. "I can manipulate plants."

"Plant manipulation?" Grian asks sounding intrigued. "The Shadow Queen will be interested to hear that."

"The Shadow Queen?"

"Just follow me to the Fairy Fort. That's where the Shadow Queen lives." Grian turns to leave when Scott puts a hand on his shoulder. "Hold on," Scott says, "How do we know this isn't a trap?"

"I'm an unnatural like you right?" Grian says. And without another word, he starts to walk into the forest. I turn to Scott and he shrugs. Then we both hurry to follow the avian.