Prologue

Winter

Roman Cross. When I first met him, I didn't know his name but I did know he was the most manly gentleman I've ever laid my eyes on.

Not gorgeous or fashion magazine worthy type of good looking. He was just all man. A crooked nose, short clip hair cut and dark facial hair.

He wore a Hermes three piece suit in grey and brown plaid, a thick trench coat that kept him warm in the Aspen winter and black gloves that covered his large hands. A red cashmere scarf dangles around his neck, almost reaching his knees.

He was at least six foot six, a whole foot and an inch taller than me. His shoulders were wide, arms as big as tree trunks and his legs were straining against his dress pants. This was probably an outfit he didn't wear often from the way the material was stretch against his body.

An old suit perhaps?, one he didn't bother to replace.

His eyes were hazel, almost green. And, Shakespeare once said that the eyes were the window to the soul. Except, when I looked into his eyes there was nothing there. He had no soul, he was just an empty dark abyss.

Maybe that's why I smiled so brightly at him. To shine light into the abyss.

He had asked me for directions and I told him with a beaming smile on my face. Being far more helpful than I needed to be. He also asked me where I was heading so late in the night.

The northern lights I told him. I wanted to sit on the swing down by the ski slopes with a cup of hot chocolate and watched the magnificent display light up the sky in an array of colours.

I had a sketchpad tucked under my arms ready to capture the moment on paper.

I was supposed to go with my little brother Ryan but he had been so worn out by ski practice earlier that day so he crashed right after dinner. If I had known the horrors we were going to face, I would've taken him with me. I would've tugged him out of bed and force him to come along.

Still, it would've been worthless because only one of us lived after that night.

Roman said he had never seen the northern lights before so I told him to come along too. It was life changing. He had other plans though.

I wished he didn't have other plans.

Not yet edited