9

Winter

Winter

My stomach knots unpleasantly as I sit on the blue hospital bed down in the basement. When Roman brought me down here after dinner, I almost peed my pants. I thought he was going to leave me down here as punishment for going miss the entire afternoon.

My husband is leaning against the as Doctor Xavier Cross shines a torch into my eye. He's the second eldest Cross brother and he looks nothing like Roman or Arthur. His hair is lighter and his brown eyes are almost yellow in the sunlight.

Xavier is nearly as tall as Roman but lacks the muscle mass like Arthur. He's slender and light, like a rock climber. His features are softer more gentle compared to his brothers.

"It's finally nice to meet you Winter." He says flickering to the my other eye. He examines for a second, and says "Done."

"That's it?" Roman complains, moving towards me.

"It's heat exhaustion, Roman." He retorts with a stern tone completely different to the one he used me with. "All you can do it's keep on eye on her and give her lots of water."

They stand off, eyes narrowing at one another. One would mistaken that they were mortal enemies from the atmosphere in the room. I swallow nervously as my eyes dart between the two men. The tension is thick and it makes me anxious; fearing for the worst.

Xavier is the first to break. He turns to a cabinet over a small sink and rummages through it, taking out a cooling pad. With gentle hands, he sticks on the pad on my forehead. His fingers lingers, tracing my skin. Then, they travel to my hair, playing with the blonde strands.

He flashes me a boyish grin and my cheeks flushes, turning pink. He's definitely the pretty one out of the brothers.

In a blink of an eye, Roman has his brother against the wall. The sound of metal hits the ground as the equipments spills from the force of Roman's sudden attack. I squeak, pulling my knees to my chest in fright.

Roman practical snarls, baring his fangs at his brother. Anger radiates off my husband, threatening to burst the pulsing veins on his neck. He slams him once, twice into the wall and before he could do it again Arthur bursts into the room.

"Let him go Roman." He yells, trying to peel his fingers off Xavier's neck.

He's turning blue and his eyes are rolling into the back of his head. Roman is going to kill him for what? For touching me? For smiling at me?

Thought of him killing another person in front of me has my head spinning. Gun shots echoes in my ears, mom's screaming, Ryan's dreadful cry of fear and fists flying into Gregory's battered face plays on my mind in a loop.

He hits Gregory over and over again, until there's nothing left of my brother but a shattered skull and ground meat. There's only a hole left in his face the size of Roman's fist. I see Gregory's chest rise once more before the life lives him. Still Roman doesn't stop, not until his nameless guards pulls him off my brother.