promise me this

(Talk of anxiety and retirement just a heads up!)

Taylor had been woken up by Travis's side of the bed, which was empty. The room was still completely dark, besides the light from the moon, which peeked through the sliding glass door that led to a back patio overlooking the beach.

Taylor checked her phone, and it read 3:13 am. Travis and she had only fallen asleep about two hours ago. They were enjoying a vacation away, just the two of them.

It was rare that Travis ever left his side in the bed. It only ever happened maybe once when he was sick. Taylor, due to her song ideas, was the one always out of bed. She began to grow worried.

Was he sick? Did he have to pee? Did he have a stomach ache? Did he get too hot in bed? Was she smothering him?

She began to bite her bottom lip as she sat up in bed. She waited and waited. She tossed her hair from side to side. She fidgeted with the bed sheets. 

Almost ten minutes had gone by, and she needed to know what was wrong with him.

So she got out of bed. She shivered as her feet hit the cold ground. She wore one of Travis's t-shirts. It was oversized, smelled like him, and fell to her mid-thighs. She crossed her arms over her chest, trying to warm herself up.

She almost passed by the sliding door until she saw the silhouette of him. He was hard to miss due to his size. He stood against the rails, looking off to the ocean.

Her heart felt heavy. She knew something was wrong. It was a gift both of them had acquired being together. They always knew when something was wrong with the other. It was like a soulmate thing.

She slowly opened the door.

"Hey Trav, are you alright?" She felt the cool breeze hit her. He turned around to face her. There was enough light from the moon for them to be able to see each other.

The night made his eyes the most beautiful shade of green. But she saw how sad he looked. Tears were in his eyes.

"Sorry baby, I didn't mean to wake you."

She walked closer to him and took him into a hug. He melted into her. This six-foot-five, two-hundred-and-fifty-pound man became almost dead weight in her arms.

Travis seemed tired of being strong, so she would be the strong one tonight. They just held onto each other. The ocean waves, their heartbeats, and a few of Travis's sniffles were the only sounds present.

A few minutes passed, and she physically felt Travis calm down. They soon broke apart, and Travis placed his hands, back on the rails. Taylor wrapped her arm around his waist.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Taylor said as she rubbed her hand across his back.

Travis took a deep breath in. He ran his hands over his eyes. He was tired, her poor boy.

"I had a bad dream. I had some anxiety when I woke up. My thoughts got to me, Tay." His voice was shaky.

It broke her heart. She loves him so much. Seeing him like this made her heart hurt.

"You don't have to tell me what your dream was about. But you can if you want to baby. I'm here always." She said as she kissed his bicep.

"I dreamt about retirement. You, leaving me. There was nothing left Tay. No one would talk to me, not even my family. I couldn't breathe. I had no idea who I was without football and then you left." Travis let out a few more tears as Taylor tried her best to comfort him.

She knew football was his life. With his coming off of his Super Bowl win and having her by his side, he felt unstoppable.

Physically though, he hurt. He heard everything, people said about him.

People say he's too old or he doesn't play like how he used to. As much as he tried to block it out, the thoughts would linger. He had just played in his eleventh season, and most guys in the NFL only play three to five years if they were lucky.

Taylor knew how he felt about this. When the topic of retirement would get brought up at parties, he would always say until the wheels fell off. He would play until he couldn't anymore point blank.

"Football has always been my life but now, you are my life. The thought of losing you, even in a dream hurts. I woke up, and my chest felt so tight. My heart was beating so fast. I had to get up and leave. I didn't want to scare you."

"Baby, I know what you are going through. Anxiety is such a fucking monster. You don't have to go through those things alone. You could never scare me. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere."

He pulled her into his side.

"Thank you, baby."

"You'll know when you are ready to retire. You just played an amazing season. You killed it Trav. You deserve a break and some time to think. All of that outside noise doesn't matter."

"You mean the world to me, baby. Promise me, you'll stand by me forever. I don't know what I'd do without you. I know when that time does come, I want you to be by my side." Travis said as he kissed her forehead.

"Always and Forever. You are so stuck with me big guy. I love you so much. It hurts me when I see you upset. It hurts me when you aren't in bed next to me. Don't leave me alone, if something like this happens again, come to me. I want to help you Trav." She said as she squeezed him.

"I will Tay thank you, baby. I love you too girl." He wrapped his arms around her.

This hug was different from the hug they shared earlier. They both felt safe. They shared a kiss. They continued to hug until Travis felt her shiver.

"You're so cold, Tay. Let's get you inside. Thank you again for being here for me." He said while rubbing her back.

"Always baby, anything for you."

"Anything?" Travis said with his eyebrow raised. He had that stupid grin on his face that Taylor Loved.

"Travis."

"Kidding."

They both laughed and headed back inside.

Thanks for reading and voting! You guys are the best!!!