Chapter 6: Past

"Hey dad! Look at what me and Aryll found in the forest!!" Zelda waved the master sword around in the air as she called out to her dad, who was merrily drinking mead with his fellow knights.

He spat out his drink and his jaw was left gaping open. The entire camp was dead silent. A fellow knight bumped her dad's elbow "Bo isn't that..."

"THE MASTER SWORD?!" A random knight shouted standing up and pointed towards Zelda.

"Zelda come here," Her father asked. She sheathed the sword and walked over to her dad, she was now completely embarrassed with all the attention on her and the sword. "Where did you find that??" He asked in a hushed tone.

"Hey dad what's going on...?" She asked, he shook his head insisting her to answer his question. "The Los- Aryll helped me find it in the Lost Woods." She turned her head and winked towards her sister.

A few guards shouted about taking her and the sword to the castle, and another began running off to capture the attention of other guards. Calm commotion rose up around the camp, gaining the attention of the captain nearby. More conversations were held between Zelda's father -Bo- the captain and Zelda herself. It had been decided that Bo and his family would be escorted to Hyrule Castle the next morning.

A few hours later and the rest of the knights were asleep, campfires had dwindled down to burning embers among the twilight sky, it was a clear night yet the breeze had brought a chill along with it. Zelda twisted and turned in her sleeping bag trying to fall asleep. In her efforts she accidentally awoken Aryll.

"Zelda..." Aryll sleepily groaned in annoyance towards the noise. "Go to bed... you're being a piece of shi-"

"Language. Mom wouldn't like you cursing,"

"Yeah mom also didn't like me."

"... Well uhh, that got deeper than I wanted it to be... Anyways- I can't fall asleep" Zelda complained. Aryll retorted and offered solutions but she had already tried any methods to fall asleep.

"Maybe if I hit you you'll get knocked out, that'd be funny, heh." Aryll was now fully awake but didn't mind, it was nice to spend some time with your sibling every once in a while, sisters are a relationship so unique and different from everything else, and she was lucky she was able to experience it, because not everyone can. Even though Aryll pretended to dislike Zelda, it was her way of showing love, and vice versa for Zelda.

"I think you just want an excuse to hit me." She laughed quietly as a new idea clicked in her head, "Hey, you should tell me about that new map stuff or whatever that is you found out about." Aryll's rants about cartography were always boring, naming every pebble on Death Mountain would have been more interesting. But Zelda enjoyed listening to her sister express herself, and it would be a good way to fall asleep.

"Oh yeah, actually the other day -I forgot to tell you- I figured out this new way of mapping elevations. Of course it has always existed but it's still really cool, so basically..." Aryll continued whispering her heart away, knowing that her sister was half asleep, if not passed out yet. But she kept talking until she herself fell asleep. The rest of the night was peaceful, small animals would hop around but none would dare linger too long lest they become breakfast, and no one else talked, everybody there had an exhausting day and deserved every bit of sleep they could get.

The morning soon came, casting long shadows from the tents onto the grounds. There was a small lake nearby that glistened, reflecting the sun off its surface. Life came back to the camp as one by one would awake until all of the grounds were up and ready for the day. Bo was still sleepy after a long day and restless night, after all what would change for them? Would Zelda get more official training? And what would become of Aryll, she would be able to get a good education... But Zelda... did this mean that the goddess has really chosen her? The Sword that Seals the Darkness, this holy blade blessed with a sealing light, the Master Sword; was she really chosen to be Hyrule's hero? The castle had been on lookout for years ever since the return of the Calamity was foretold. Would Zelda herself truly be the one to seal Ganon away? Could she.. die? Bo had worried and burdened himself with such thoughts, and struggled to get them off his mind.