Chapter 7: Yiga

"Are you getting tired yet, prince?" Zelda asked.

He wasn't quite sure how to respond. His legs were like jelly but it was only sunset. The past week and a half since their plans had been boring. Zelda accompanied him to Kakariko village where be pleaded and tied offerings to the deities, nothing happened though. Lady Impa had taken a liking to Zelda,
so perhaps a new friendship would be formed there.

"Your highness?" Zelda spoke again, derailing his train of thought. He turned to her and shrugged. "The Gerudo Canon Stable is near, you can stay there for the night for some rest. The desert is deadly to travel through past sunset."

Link nodded, and so it was. The two trudged through the last bit on the canon until they reached the stable. Upon arriving they gained a few looks of attention from others. Royals never often stayed there and they were quite embarrassed at their lack of preparation for the prince. Zelda had reassured them that the prince was alright with whatever they had. Once the duo has checked in they returned outside and sat by the campfire.

"Are you excited to go to Gerudo Town tomorrow, prince?" She asked, he nodded as he stirred around the stew in the pot. "You can change your garb at Kara Kara Bazaar, then we can continue westwards to Gerudo town."

"Okay." Is all he said back. He would speak when necessary but often did not. Today in particular had felt awful for him, he had barely prayed once, sure before they eaten lunch or in the morning before their travels, but never giving his full effort and praying for his awakening powers. Guilt overtook him like a skyward shadow from a cloud. He frowned slightly, his mind was racing from thought to thought and he almost felt like he hated himself for how much he worried.

His grip grew overly aggressive around the wooden spatula and his teeth grit more than need be. Zelda opened her mouth as to speak but hesitated and wondered if words would be the solution.

"Are you feeling alright? I can cook if you need to get some rest," She offered. He released his grip from the spoon and slumped down on the stump next to the pot, across from Zelda.

"I am perfectly fine. As fine as a Rito feather," He scoffed. Zelda was already doing her duty and fulfilling her fate, all she had to do was swing around the sword and she'd be just peachy, yet he was a failure. She must have hated him, he was allowed to be lazy and fail at his duties and she had to work for it.

"Okay... Restrain not if you need help, I am always prepared to lend my assistance." Her smile was one of genuine warmth, yet Link perceived it as pity. He slumped forward and rested his head on his hands, facing away from Zelda. A minute past and the stew was ready, it was some meat with a Kakariko fortified pumpkin.

As he poured the soup into the bowls he sighed heavily. She took the bowl from him and their hands brushed against each other, causing the prince to slightly blush.

"Are you sure you're okay? You're really quiet."

His eyes turned away from her, with furrowed eyebrows he nodded again in response. Zelda had been trying to make sure Link knows that he can trust her, but it has been rough since she first got there as his appointed knight. No more unnecessary words were spoken for the rest of the night. Just the ambience of the critters and bugs, and the breeze that would rarely pass through the canyon.

Quicker than it needed be the morning shone it's light to do it's job. And it sure did it's job, Zelda couldn't get a good sleep so she woke up at sunrise. The prince alway liked to sleep in until 7:30, which he couldn't do very often at the castle. While he was sleeping she took everything and packed them into a tight sack. One she'd have to carry but it hadn't been that heavy so far. She made sure the Gerudo garb was ready and that she had both a chillt elixir for herself, and a cool mushroom skewer for him. Last time he tried to have an elixir he almost threw up, which is fair, the flavor and textures of those things are not for the weak stomach.